Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Buying hunting property

Old 02-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buying hunting property

I'm thinking about trying to buy some property in either New mexico or Montana as a vacation/hunting place. Has anyone ever done this?

I'm from Florida& would really like to buy a small place thatI could go to each year with the family & get to know the place, town, people, etc. I figure I can get the most bang for the buck in the above two states, but would be interested in what others have to say. My ideal place would be a small cabin on several acres that was next to public land. I'm not rich so buying some huge ranch is not going to happen. Anything I'm missing or need to look out for? Anyone know anyone that could assist me in the search?

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buying hunting property

Montana sucks. You don't want to go there. It's either too hot, too cold, or September.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

As a non-res, I'd be worried that I may never get a tag in some areas...depending on lottery.

It would be awful to ACTUALLY have a place to hunt out there...and NO TAG!
Old 02-12-2006, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just went though your same thought process. After 10 months of intense research (and a little luck) we purchase some property in southern Colorado. Although we don't border public land, it is within a reasonable driving distance. I also have access to private land within my developement (or ranch as they call it out west). The ranch is 17,000 private acers which I can hunt the non-posted parcels as long as I don't post my parcel.

Other things to consider out west is:

1. Electricity. The more remote parcels don't have it. Solar panels, wind, propane, and generators are very popular out west and can work. This is what I plan on doing.

2. Water. Many places DO NOT have water rights. Before sure your parcel does.

3. Road Access. Some of these ranches have a road system, but they are not maintained (plowed) in the winter. If year round access is a high priority, but sure you can get there in the winter.

4. Other things besides hunting (bite my tongue!). Seriously, is there a town near by that provide essentials (groceries, home center/lumber yard, medical, gas station, propane delivery, etc.).

5. Most important, does the wife/family like it there. If she is miserable, you will be also!

6. As mentioned above, Tags. I chose Colorado because I can get an over the counter elk tag for archery or the second and third rifle seasonevery year. I can draw a muledeer tag in my unit every2 or 3 years. CO has the largest elk herd in the country and the muledeer populationhas come back greatly from the late 90s. I also turkey hunt and there are Merriam turkeys in my unit.

Great views frommy 40 acres and very friendly people put the frosting on the cake for me. I intend to build a small comfortable cabin in a few years so I can hunt there and spend a portion of my retirement there when I retire. Enjoy your search, it's half the fun.

. . . Rob
Old 02-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Good post RobinVT. Easterners need to know about the water deal most.
I hope to see you in the fall. Am starting new job with the rr in Denver next week so I'll be a little more available to meet this yr. Hope you enjoy your place. Next year we are going to get a few acres in unit 55. Lemme know if I can help you with huntign stuff or a place to ship your gear to.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help guys & Rob in VT all good points, if I may ask what is the name of the ranch you bought into?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shawn,

I sent you an email.

. . . Rob