Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Just a Thank You to Modest Hunters >

Just a Thank You to Modest Hunters

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just a Thank You to Modest Hunters

Old 01-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just a Thank You to Modest Hunters

Got it in Newfoundland this past October. I hunted with Patey and Sons Outfiting. That was the first time I went on a guided hunt. Had a great time.

Its like a whole different world up there. Didn't see many moose and had lots of rain.

Actually I only hunted for about 20 minutes before I got it.

We arrived in camp on Wednesday morning. The Group that was there before us tagged out early. They flew us in and flew the other guys out. We talked with the guides and they fixed us something to eat. After we ate they told us ( 3 of us) to get our stuff ready, we were going hunting. There were 3 guides. One took me and my guide across the lake in a boat and dropped us off.

Walked a few hundred yards to a look out. ( the walking is incredibly hard up there. You sink in a few inches with every step, requiring you to lift your legs higher for the next step. )

Got to the look out and a bull with 2 cows came running out of the black spruce. (They must have winded us.) The guide let out a cow call with his mouth and they stopped.

I was out of breath and still had my back pack on. The stock didn't feel right against my shoulder but I didn't have time to remove it.

I looked through the scope and it looked so far away. The scope was still on 4x and my heart beat was bouncing the crosshairs all over the place. (I later ranged the shot at 228 yds. with my range finder) I didn't have time to mess with the scope.

I took a breath and started to squeeze the trigger. Just then they turned and started to run, quarting away. I swung the crosshairs, keeping on target and finished squeezing the trigger. He dropped. I hit him high and broke his back. Not the kind of shot to be proud of but under the circumstances, I was OK with it. The rest is history.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

Didn't see many moose and had lots of rain.
I grew up hunting moose in Newfoundland and that pretty much sums it up right there...
Old 01-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

great story, I may be going in 07 for moose in Newfoundland, that looks to be one heck of a good bull for up there... great story...
Old 01-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Windwalker, does your outfitter do Caribou hunts as well?
Would you hunt with him again?
Old 01-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Rooster.

Yes, they do caribou. We only saw 4. the guides said something about there being more earlier in the season. We went the first week of October. The Outfitter operates about 12 camps. I did see a few hunters with caribou racks getting off of the float plane, back at the main lodge.

They guides were great and work hard to get you your moose. I can't say enough about them. My 2 buddies got their moose, but they were smaller. One guy had bad knees and the other , I think, just got tired of walking. They just settled for what they could get. They'll walk your legs off up there.

I walked along with the one guy when he got his moose. I had the video camera in a plastic bag to keep out the rain. The six of us were walking alongin the wind and rain , when the guide up front turned around and saw a moose walking behind us, following us about 30yds behind. We never knew it was there. LOL...The guide yelled and pointed and we all turned around. It was an awesome sight, that moose standing there staring at us and us back at it. I wanted to get the video camera out of the bag and film the shot, but didn't want to mess up my buddies chance at a shot by making noise or movement. AllI could do was watch him shoot it when it started running. I just wish I could have had it all on video. When you are standing that close, they sure look big. Especially when you are used to seinng whitetail deer.

Yeah, if I had the money I'd love to go back.

They also have a Trophy Camp where your chances of getting a nice rack are better. It costs an extra $1000, though. That camp has only been open a few years, so the big ones aren't all shot off.

The camp we hunted at has been hunted for 14 straight years with no break. The moose my buddies got are typical for most of the camps with several larger ones taken also.
[align=center]www.BigGameOutfitting.com[/align]

Old 01-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

edited becausewindwalker beat me too it!

Anyway nice moose ww. My uncle went this year to newfoundland, not sure who he went with, could have been these guys, he said there were some real nice ones but you had to walk your tail off, he chased a big one for a while but no clean shot and he ended up with a 3x3 like the one your buddy on the right is holding. he is already booked to go back in 07! I might have to go with him... And BT he also told me they saw a HUGE caribou, guide said it was B&C easy, at 50 yards and no one there had a caribou permit... I forget when they went but they saw only a dozen or so 'bou and half were big bulls...
Old 01-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing that makes it tuff on combination hunts is that you seem to not have enough time to hunt both animals. You might have a good chance at getting both but you better be in shape.

It is so difficult to walk up there. The ground is saturated with water. You sink in a couple inches each step, requiring you to step higher for the next step. It wears you out quickly.

If you guys have any questions, I'll do my best to answer based on my limited experience.