Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Traditional Deer Hunters and Dog Hunters >

Traditional Deer Hunters and Dog Hunters

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Traditional Deer Hunters and Dog Hunters

Old 02-20-2006, 09:19 AM

Default Traditional Deer Hunters and Dog Hunters

Is it right to run deer dogs? Have dog hunters ruined your still hunting?
Is it right for dogs to chase a deer and keep going on someone elses land that is posted?
Or is dog hunting an enjoyable way to hunt deer that you normaly may not be able to get?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Traditional Deer Hunters and Dog Hunters

hasn't this been brought up countless times, beaten to death, and brought up yet again????[&:]
Old 02-20-2006, 09:41 AM

I think it all depends on your area and culture. I live in ohio and it's not allowed, if it was i dont know if I would do it, mainly because how do you keep the deer and the dogs on property that you have permission and not crossing on posted land. Up here you cant go a mile and be on different property. But if I had a massive ranch I think it would be fun to try but I still like sitting in the woods by myself and waiting. I also feel that what is good enough for rabbits and birds is good enough for deer. Maybe if people had to walk for hours to find Pheasents and rabits we would have more around here rather than letting dogs do the work for them. Again I like dogs and if I have the chance to rabbit hunt with them I would, I just think we should be fair to all anaimals. Three pound rabbit to athirty pound dog is ok, butthirty pound dog to a 180# deer is wrong? dont make sense to me.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, but with deer season over, folks are getting bored and need entertainment. So,bring on the10 page thread with the fur and feathers flying.

The whole issue of having your hunt ruined by someoneelse who is legally huntingcould probably use a little more tenderizing. I have likely "ruined" a couple of peoples deer hunts by running my beagles. But then again, I had just as much right to be there as they did. A deer permit doesn't give one absolute control ofall the woods surrounding one's stand if others have legal access as well.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a traditional hunter and don't like the fact of using dogs to chase deer, but then again we use dogs to chase rabbits, so to each his own.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Is it right to run deer dogs?
I consider it unsporting at best .
Have dog hunters ruined your still hunting?
No , but rabbit hunters have and I didn't like that either .
Is it right for dogs to chase a deer and keep going on someone elses land that is posted?
Their owners should be cited for not controlling them , it isn't the dog's fault .
Or is dog hunting an enjoyable way to hunt deer that you normaly may not be able to get?
If I can't get them then I don't need to be hunting them .
Old 02-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche
Yeah, but with deer season over, folks are getting bored and need entertainment. So,bring on the10 page thread with the fur and feathers flying.
Yup, here we go again.... Showtime!

I don't care for dog hunters. Sorry to say. Here in Virginia it's a big thing east of the Blue Ridge. I have had so many hunts ruined by the baying of hound dogs and watching a doe going Mach IV through the woods. To me it just doesn't make sense. I wasn't brought up around running hound dogs after deer, and I guess I don't understand what all the hub-bub is about anyway. The meat of a deer that has been run into the ground is going to be laced with adrenaline and therefore be way more "gamey" tasting (so I have heard).

I just go bowhunting east of the Blue Ridge (you can't run dogs during bowseason), and when general firearms season comes in, I go out west to the Blue Ridge and National Forests to get away from the dog runners.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

You are comparing "traditional" hunting to dog hunting......You make it sound like dog hunting is something new. Not restricting this to just deer hunting but people were hunting with dogs a long time before guns were invented. Now I have no use for a rude hunter if he uses a dog or not, but I would not lump all dog hunters in that group.

-john
Old 02-20-2006, 08:33 PM

You are comparing "traditional" hunting to dog hunting......You make it sound like dog hunting is something new. Not restricting this to just deer hunting but people were hunting with dogs a long time before guns were invented. Now I have no use for a rude hunter if he uses a dog or not, but I would not lump all dog hunters in that group. TX Hoghunter
Just to Deer Dogs. Most folks don't still hunt forquail or rabbits.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Traditional? Some might say that hunting with dogs is traditional!
It's not legal here, but if its legal where you hunt, then its just as much hunting as stalking, or stand hunting!
I do feel that running dogs through other peoples property is wrong, and the owners are responsible for those actions!

Quick Reply: Traditional Deer Hunters and Dog Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.