Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another Deer down in Texas

Old 01-08-2006, 07:25 PM

Default Another Deer down in Texas

I shot another buck this morning a 9 pointerwhich scores 126 3/8, which afew inchesof broken tines. It has an interesting split on one of its brow tines which i like alot.Had this deer not fought so much it would of probably scored somewhere in the lower 130's.

This morning i saw a huge 8 pointer with a 22 inch spread but could never get him broadside. I figured i should be patient and wait for him to turn broadside but a hot doe ran right by him and he took off after her into the brush and did not return. That deer would probably score in the lower 140's which for an 8 pointer is pretty darn good.

After the big 8 left i was feeling a little bummed. I had already shot a nice deer earlier in the season but I really wanted that big 8. With this morning being my last weekend to hunt for the year even though our season ending next weekend i knew i would not see that deer again till next year. But back to the story, it was getting late in the morning (8 30, and i say late due to the fact that it got so hot during the day today that the deerwerent really moving)I woke up to 31 degrees according to the thermomter on the f250 when we left the least at 2 it was 79 degrees! almost a 50 degree temp difference!) and most of the deer had left the area around my blind. We were almost getting ready to leave when my dad noticed some movement in the brush off to the left.I scanned the brush and found a mature 9 pointer and since my dad hadn't shot a buck this year I told him to shoot it after he had told me to get my gun up, but i guess he has gotten to the point where he would rather see me shoot a buck than he shoot it himself, especially a deer like this so he told me to shoot it. The deer was moving fast through the brush and i had to move to my dad's side of the blind to get a shot off and by the time i got my crosshairs on the deer he had heard us so he was standing still broadside looking up into the blind, one shot from the 300 winny and that was all she wrote.

Here he is...

Old 01-08-2006, 07:25 PM

Default RE: Another Deer down in Texas

Another shot of him...

Old 01-08-2006, 07:31 PM

Nice buck! Congrats!

[/align]
Old 01-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great looking buck!