Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about sheds

Old 01-03-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Question about sheds

My dad and I were out rabbit hunting on our lease here in northern OK the other day, and we found a beautiful 5 point (left side) shed. Looked all over, but couldn't find it's mate. It's in perfect condition, no evidence of critters chewing on it or anything. I know it would be awful early, but could it be this year's shed? The base wasn't bloody and looked like it had been there for a while, but I'm amazed that nothing got to it, if it was a year old. Thanks for any help!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:12 PM

Default RE: Question about sheds

It could be this years I found one 2 weeks ago. It wouldn't take long for the blood to dissapear if it got wet. If it was perfect it is very unlikely it is a year old. It should be white or so other damage to it.

[/align]
Old 01-03-2006, 11:45 PM

It depends on where you found it. In the woods, squirrels and rabbits, and depending on the locale, porkies chew them fast. Out in a field they sometimes dont meet those critters and last a long time, especially the further west you are. If, when you pick it up, one side is bleached and the other side has color, its old. If the base under the rosette still has the grey skin ring, the blastema scar, its likely not that old.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

They can shed this early. Depends somewhat on their general health how early they shed.

I killed a "doe" last year on January 7 in a late does-only bow season. When I walked up to gut my meat animal, I discovered "she" was a buck who had already shed his antlers.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:41 PM

Just about two weeks ago my uncle killed a deer and when he went to drag it the antlers fell off and one of them didnt even have any blood in it.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:19 PM

Keep an eye out in the same area. If that buck is traveling in that same area on a regular basis, it's a good chance you will find the other one. They usually aren't too far apart. I love shed hunting, never have much luck, but it's good fun.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:42 PM

deer can shed antlers as long as three days apart between each antler so the other shed may be near by and then again it may be no where close.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

AROUND WHAT DATE DO MOST DEER SHED. IDONT WANT TO GO OUT TO EARLY BUT THEN AGAIN I DONT WANT TO GO TO LATE. ANY ADVICE
Old 01-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

its not that early - in my area probably 1 in 5 have shed by now.

FH
Old 01-04-2006, 11:04 PM

It varies so much, really. Farmhunter is in Cazenovia andhas seen1 in 5 shedding already, and Im in Brockport, same state, and very few have shed here so far. It can vary that much. We usually start looking right after SuperBowl Sunday, but we do see the odd shed laying around earlier. In my shop I see bucks brought in that shed during season, but they always have some injury or stress to shed that early. Also, I raise deer, and can assure you they can go longer then 3 days between shedding antlers! The longest Ive seen personally was a buck of mine, a 4 yr old, that shed January 1st last year, and the other side February 1st. Just thought you might like to know!