Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question on Sheds

Old 05-29-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Question on Sheds

I live in Iowa, and I was just wondering if anyone from the northern Iowa/ Southern MN area had any idea when the best time would/ would've been to go out an look for some. Seems like i try during the wrong time or something because i can't ever find any

~kep
Old 05-29-2005, 11:01 PM

Default RE: Question on Sheds

Kepcho....The best time to start looking is right after Christmas up til the woods green up. Feb. and March are ideal, depending on the conditions. the more snow the better. Find the bedding/feeding areas and you will find the sheds. And the bedding and feeding areas are usualy the same place in the winter...they don't travel far at all for food. Also, just after the snow goes is a great time to pick em up before the green up starts, but the horns you find at this time will probably be chewed up a bit already. Good luck.

p.s. if you dont have any sheds, go on ebay and buy one med. size horn. Take it with you and throw it around as you are searching. This will train your eyes to seeing them. With a little practice you will be a shed ninja.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question on Sheds

hey where you at in Northern Iowa.I use to hunt just east of Osage. I traveled out there from pa untill the permits got so hard to get