Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

late season archery

Old 12-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default late season archery

Anyone ever have any luck during a late archery season?
Old 01-01-2006, 12:12 AM

Default RE: late season archery

Killed a doe 3 days ago.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

ive got one week left, no luck yet...i havent been out in a few days though either...
Old 01-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Late Archery season has traditionally been one of our best times to see true top end bucks. Honestly, over the past many seassons we have seen some of the years largest B&C caliber animals around Dec. 20. It's especially good in seasons where we have planty of snow fall to really concentrate the animals on the food sources. This year we have had problems with temps well warmer than average (today for example is 50 degrees!) but we are still seeing some quality animals. Seen a few P&Y class bucks over this vacation period but nothing real huge. I did have a VERY close encounter with a 160 class buck the day after christmas but couldn't close the deal and get an arrow through him!

My best bowkilled late season buck to date is only a mid 150 class but the potential for a true buck of a lifetime is out there during the time when all the other "hunters" are home complaining about how their season went???
Old 01-01-2006, 04:55 PM

well i like late season bowhunting but im having a problem hopfully some one will help. I have been baiting with corn at a stand and there is crap load of tracks around the corn. well i have set on this stand many times and have yet to see a deer. i know they are there just cant figure them out.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:53 PM

Night time activity. They may infact be there. Heck they may even be watchin you walk in and out. Switch your baitsites around.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sat in the stand all day yesterday (new years eve), had three within range but the landowner didn't want me to touch the doe that travels with two yearlings, had another blow at me that I didn't see, and ended the night getting busted by a buck as I lowered my bow out of the tree.