Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Mississippi residents... Question >

Mississippi residents... Question

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mississippi residents... Question

Old 12-29-2005, 09:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Mississippi residents... Question

We are visiting my brother in law this weekend in Louisiana. He has property in Mississippi where he said we could hunt from his blinds. I asked about the cost of a license and he said "we don't need them because I own the property." That is not the rule here in Texas. Is he correct? Also, when does your deer season end? I don't want to break any of your rules... Thanks!
Old 12-30-2005, 08:06 AM

Default RE: Mississippi residents... Question

The ONLY person that can hunt on privately owned property in Miss is the PROPERTY OWNER. Even if a person is married to the property owner, if their name is not on the deed to the land, they must have a license.

Also, the person MUST be a resident of the state of Miss to qualify. So, if your brother in law from La is hunting without a license, he is breaking the law. Even if a person owns land in Miss, they MUST be a legal resident of the state, period. You may disagree with this, but that is the way it is.

So, to answer your question, both you AND your brother in law need out of state licenses.

If you want to look it up, check out the Miss Wildlife Dept web page at;
http://mdwfp.com

And the answers to some of your questions can be found at;
http://mdwfp.com/customerService/faq.asp?Division=License

Sorry for the bad news, just wanted you to have the facts (and not let your brother in law get you in trouble.).
R
Hank
Old 12-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Hank. I was afraid of that. In reading the regs, it looks like my 12 year old wouldn't need a license. Does he have to be with a licensed person to hunt, or can my brother in law or I sit in the blind with him? Also, it looks like it's "Gun (with dogs)" season now. Does that preclude hunting without dogs? Finally, what about hog hunting? If one should wander past the blind, does MS require a license to shoot them? (They're considered a pest here in TX, so you don't need a license to shoot them.)
Old 12-30-2005, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe you son will need a license if he's 12. And "with dogs" does not mean you have to hunt with dogs. It just means that if you want to run deer with dogs, you can during that season. As far as hogs are concerned, there's no special license for that as far as I know. Where I hunt, in the Mississippi Delta near Greenwood, we shoot as manyhogs as we can. They're a nuisance.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Excellent! Thanks! We've already taken four deer here in Texas this year, so we've probably got enough venison already. But, we could use some pork steaks in the freezer... So, unless someone has some contrary views about the regulations, I think we'll plan on sitting in the stands and hoping for the 3 little pigs to wander by.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:27 PM

Where in MS are you going hunting? I live in Ocean Springs, 4 miles from the beach, and hunt in Vancleave.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

The property is just outside of Tylertown on Route 27. We didn't get anything. My son got a brief glimpse at a 6 point buck, but didn't even have time to get his rifle up before it disappeared in the fog.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that. Hope you have better luck next time.