Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Preparing for next year

Old 12-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Preparing for next year

In Michgan, the deer "hunting" season is essentialy over. You can still harvest a doe but I have taken enough. I have replaced my treestands according to my results of this years hunting. I have began sitting in these new stand and video taping for next year. This is what I have been doing for the past 3 years. Is it worth it. When do you guys begin scouting for your next season? I like to find areas late in the season where bucks go for protection. I found a spot this year I have never set foot in and hunted outside it about 40 yards. Well, sure enough the pressure of other hunters pushed a dandy into the thickarea.

So I suppose my question to help with my scouting are:
[ul][*]When do you begin scouting?[*]Where are your favorite areas to scout?[*]Do you just observe the deer or do you try hunting scenarios on them?[*]Do you give the deer any pressure during the off season?[*]Do you place your cameras up yet to see deer activity or wait until the antlers drop and begin to re-grow?[/ul]
Anyway, thanks again and I look forward to scouting!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:46 AM

Default RE: Preparing for next year

[*]When do you begin scouting? In late febuary [*]Where are your favorite areas to scout? Fence lines, creeks and woods[*]Do you just observe the deer or do you try hunting scenarios on them? I look for sheds, observe their late season behavior and look for bedding areas.
[*]Do you give the deer any pressure during the off season? I try not to , but TN is so populated with deer it is impossible to NOT stir up some of the animals.
[*]Do you place your cameras up yet to see deer activity or wait until the antlers drop and begin to re-grow? I personal leave them up all year just so I can catch violations from other hunters that may accidentaly venture on to my land.

Great post by the way!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

i never stop scouting. by that i mean. everyday in the woods im looking for that little piece of sign that might help. during the season,after,summer. everyday i drive down the road or take a walk,ride a 4 wheeler. im scouting. it never stops for me.
live,eat,breath whitetails....
Old 12-28-2005, 09:36 AM

In PA we are in flintlock season and it it a prime time to scout for deer next season. You even get lucky finding s shed every now and then.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I start scouting during our late season (january). I also do a lot during spring turkey. I scout everywhere. Find where they bed and where they travel. I don't use cameras to scout, fear of getting them stolen.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys! I am going out to sit in my treestand tonight with the video camera... Bringing along the .22 mag just incase a coyote or opposums wanders along. Anyway, I am looking forward to scouting some new land soon! Thanks for the tips!!