Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
preparing new rifle >

preparing new rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

preparing new rifle

Old 01-09-2002, 04:26 AM

Default preparing new rifle

I have a new savage rifle and was wondering if there is any cleaning or preperation that I need to do before I shot it. Thanks for all your help!
Old 01-09-2002, 04:42 AM
Spike

Default RE: preparing new rifle

00 What I do with a new rifle is strip it down clean it good and put it back together that way you will know everything is tight and clean.After the 1st 2 shots run a patch with bore cleaner on it I do that for the 1st 20 rounds.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

That Savage should be a good shooter. There are a couple things that you may want to do, not neccessarily before you shoot it the first, but sometime in the future; get the trigger adjusted so it is crisp and a tad lighter and maybe bedded and free floated.

Like popumm says, go ahead and remove the 2 action screws and take it out of the stock and clean it and lightly oil it and re install it back in the stock. Tighten the action screws (alternating between each) up to about 40-50 inch pounds or so. Then run several dry patches down the bore to remove any oil/grease. If you have a scope on it, makes sure that your scope bases/mounts screws are good and tight. Make sure all your scope ring screws are tight. Make sure that the bolt functions smoothly and the safety works the way it should in all positions. Now you can be sure that you are to head to the range. GOOD SHOOTING!
Old 01-09-2002, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

1SHOT_1KILL, I believe the new Savages are all free floated from the factory. At least the 110 and the 116 that I have are. Also, some models are factory pillar bedded as well. Both my Savages shoot extremely well. I did have to do trigger work on one of them though to smooth it up. The other trigger was acceptable when I got it.

Edited by - frizzellr on 01/09/2002 10:30:37
Old 01-09-2002, 12:04 PM
bigcountry

They are free floated, but thats one cheesy stock. I am looking into trading one of my Rem. 700 BDL 300RUM's to a tactical model or long range model in 7mm-08 or .308 and the first thing I plan is to put a new stock on and new trigger. One Shot, will the H-S stocks for the remingtons fit the actions of the savages? What stock would you recommend? I like the H-S cause its seems very beefy on my new Rem. 700P.