Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Those who say deer go nocturnal...... >

Those who say deer go nocturnal......

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Those who say deer go nocturnal......

Old 12-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Those who say deer go nocturnal......

Where I am, the patternschanged. I see deer out and about2:30 pmto10:00 pm ( standing on the side and crossing of the road). A month back,they were all out in the AM. Have notyet found a correlation tothe moon phase, more weather patterns.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, if there was a piece of woods that a holds deer and they have never been in contact with any human, there would be zero deer going nocturnal.

If their natural movements dictate they travel during the day, for food, water etc., then why would they suddenly retreat to moving only at night? Only because they feel uncomfortable moving (as much) during daylight hours and all this because they suddenly understand there is a present and dangerous threat - hunters.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:20 AM

I used to think that my hunting made the big boys not come out too, but after putting out a trail cam my buddy loned me one time the big boys were 75% nocturnal before the season even opens. I am also the only one that hunts and no preseason hunt for small game either. I think it has to do with time of year and daylight to daytime hours.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

The deer on my lease are nocturnal. Mostly I suspect from the club on the adjacent property use of dogs.

I keep the lease mostly for the tukeys.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

My take on Deer hunting any area is to enter undetected and leave the same way. The more cautious and meticulous you are about your scent and your presence the better. Everytime a deer sees you or smells you you are educated them and maybe driving them to go noctunal. Deer have really good night vision also.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: ericstac

I've got about 6 acres in a restricted area on the Brazos just outside the State Park and at any giving time you can drive down the roads and pull up 3 feet from a heard of deer and they just look up and keep chewing. Craziest thing ever..
Same down the road from you in the parks at Lake Texana (Edna)... Can almost hand-feed those dudes... they are as care-free as all hell there, no stress... About 6 or so years ago you were allowed to hand-feed them corn, so I believe the closeness with humans back then kind of chained down and they're pretty relaxed around those camp-grounds...

I was driving through there the other day and a young spike and young 4-point were bumpin' heads (playfully, of course), took me a picture of that... Also heard the rut was going on down here, didn't seem like it, saw a 10 with a 18 or so spread and an 8 with about a15 spread bedding down together about 50 or so yards off of the road at a tree-line...Later on the larger buck was rubbing his glands on a branch, the other one lay down with his head up about 5 yards away... some really relaxed deer around there...

Wish I woulda had a camera on me earlier this year, had a buck chasing a doe, sat there and watched for a long time, she drug him all across that camp-ground, it was funny...
Old 12-24-2005, 07:32 PM

it happens to me on my hunting turf. but I don't blame the deer, they do it naturally. when a strange scent is in their territory they don't like that.