Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

got one yesterday... :-)

Old 12-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Spike

Default got one yesterday... :-)

I haven't been seeing any bigger bucks in my corn or clover patches the last couple of weeks so yesterday afternoon I went back in some woods that are between some stands of planted pines. Shortly after getting on my stand, at around 5:20pm I saw three bucks together, which surprised me as the second rut is still going on here in SW GA. One was a spike, another an eight, and the third appeared to be a the largest in the group. The larger deer finally stepped out where I could see him briefly. Before he stepped into a thicket I had at most a second to decide if he was a shooter or not. I decided he was and popped him. He was a nice mainframe 12-pointer. He also had one kicker near a brow tine that was about an inch long, so I guess I could claim him to be a 13-pointer.
One thing that was interesting was how much weight he had lost chasing does for the past month. He, along with most big bucks taken this time of year, had lost almost all of his fat and was very thin along the lower portion of his back. We figured he had lost somwhere around 25-30 pounds from where he was a month ago. I hope this one hadaVERY successful love life this year....
I shot him with some of my handloads in .270. Here are some pics...What do you think?

Old 12-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: got one yesterday... :-)

Hey SringHill, Good Job! Congrat's!
Old 12-24-2005, 11:11 AM

THATS A NICE BUCK YOU HAVE THERE SPRINGHILL, CONGRATS
Old 12-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

great deer congrats
Old 12-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

S.H. thats a GREAT buck for the south ...super job! I shoot and old Browning 270 ..is that a Blaser your holding in the pic ..?

dd
Old 12-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Spike

Default RE: Blaser

Thanks, DoctorDeath, and, yes, it's a Blaser. It's a great shooting gun that I use as a .270, 338, and 375 H&H. I have other calibers in other guns, but for whitetail hunting, O'Conner's favorite is probably mine as well.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:14 PM

Ya know its people like you that make people like me feel bad when i get on this site! LOL!! Thats an awsome buck and like you said to see three at once! I wouldn't have to decide to shoot like you did, only have to decide how to drag a deer with loaded pants! Great deer!
Old 12-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SpringHillFarms

Thanks, DoctorDeath, and, yes, it's a Blaser. It's a great shooting gun that I use as a .270, 338, and 375 H&H. I have other calibers in other guns, but for whitetail hunting, O'Conner's favorite is probably mine as well.
i thought it was a blaser. nice looking rifle and a nice looking deer also. congrats!!!
Old 12-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SpringHillFarms

S.H. I thought about one of those ..read a lot about it but I am just to ruff on a rifle and those are just to good looking ..

dd

Old 12-24-2005, 03:36 PM

thats a beatiful lookin deer congradulations.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Quick Reply: got one yesterday... :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.