Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Venison Question

Old 12-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Venison Question

It always seems the venison which is butchered professionally is less gamey. It has no connection with the sex or age of the deer either. I think they dry hang it b/f its buchered while I soak mine in water/salt for a day or two. Any explanations from the hivemind-braintrust.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Venison Question

For my self it’s all about preparation. I take the time and care to remove any blood, extra fat, silver skin (blue skin) and other parts that might add to the gamy taste. I de-bone all the meat. When I’m finished I have good chunks of meat ready for cooking and use the food saver to preserve the meat in the freezer. I’ll never bring my game to any butcher anymore. I just do a better job with lots of pride and no cost...
Old 12-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Me too. I have not had one done in the meat plant for many years. My wife is to cheap is one reason but we enjoy doing it ourselves.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: James B

Me too. I have not had one done in the meat plant for many years. My wife is to cheap is one reason but we enjoy doing it ourselves.
I'm with ya James. My reason is that I'm to cheap.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I always do mine too because I think I do a better job. What is with soaking in salt Robert?? I just hang mine in a cold room or outside for 3-5 days and make sure to trim all the meat real well. Never had one that is gamey.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

I usually soak the meat in a little oil and seasoning for an hour or so, roll it in flour and fry it in bacon grease..........best chicken fried steak you'll ever eat. Ive turn animal rights nuts into meat eaters with that.........
Oh, and Ive never really noticed the difference between butchered meat and when i do it myself
Old 12-19-2005, 06:08 AM

I think hanging the meat for a few days does help a bit with getting rid of the gamy flavor, but like you all have said preperations is the key!! Just have to take the time to trim up that silver skin and fat and package it properly.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

All good answers,the only thing that the salt water will do is draw out the blood and flavor which will leave you with a piece of, uh, well, game.

Just do what everyone else says. But first make sure your not cutting into the stomach or bladder when gutting, then cool asap. I rinse the cavity with cold water, hang with the stomach held open with a dowel or stainlesssteel rod. Hang at about 35-40 degrees for about 3-4 days (but not neccessary). Cut and get rid of all silverskin,fat and ligaments. and you should have great tasting meat. For long periods of storage I vacum pack, what I'm going to eat within a few months gets wrapped in freezer paper then put into a plastic bag. Also a freezer with a temp of about 0 or less is best. Besides you don't want your ice cream soft.good luck.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:24 AM

I usually let mine sit for a couple of days, then I quarter it and put it in the fridge for no more than 4 days. This drains most of the blood out that would have come out during hanging. Also which do you like best hanging head up or head down?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Head down so the blood drains from the hindquarters

Quick Reply: Venison Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.