Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 A full moon good for hunting or bad? >

A full moon good for hunting or bad?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A full moon good for hunting or bad?

Old 12-16-2005, 01:57 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: A full moon good for hunting or bad?

Alot of factors. Prerut, its a bad thing. During the rut, they will move 24/7.Who care about full moon, we all will be in the woods at that point. I am talking bucks here, not worried about does. Post rut, if the weather is good and still alot of folage and stuff to browse on, full moon is bad. But for me, its been snowing alot, and food is hard to come by, so I would still hunt a full moon. They need to browse right now. There's alot of factors that I believe serious hunters need to know. I know I learn more and more every year.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:32 PM

I shot my first deer ever yesterday after a full moon, so I guess they can't be all bad. Three does walked across my food plot at 11:45, and this was the biggest.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Everyone has there own opinions about this, and I have always been a skeptic until this year. There are four people that primarily hunt our property, so this year we kept track of every time someone was in a stand. We stored all the data in an excel spreadsheet. At the end of Nov. I was going through some of the data, as far as moon phases go. During the full moon phase(3 days before to 3 days after the full moon) our deer sighting in the AM almost doubled and in the PM hunts they almost tripled. Also 3/4 of the mature bucks we had seen were seen during the full moon phase. A few more in the PM. Take it for what its worth. I talked to a guy that has been keeping track of this same kind of data for 34 years and he said he has seen the same kind of patterns.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:33 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Yellerhammer5

I shot my first deer ever yesterday after a full moon, so I guess they can't be all bad. Three does walked across my food plot at 11:45, and this was the biggest.

Nobody said you can't kill. And sure does are easy enough, but I believe some on here is referring to a nice buck. Maybe I am wrong.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Yellerhammer5

Nobody said you can't kill. And sure does are easy enough, but I believe some on here is referring to a nice buck. Maybe I am wrong.
According to the first post, he said deer. I always assumed that a doe was a deer, but prehaps I'm wrong.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:44 PM

Well, I tried going out a little later and hit it at mid day with the full moon. My results.......................didn't see athing,lol. Not enough for any data, but figure I'd throw it out there. Thanks for all the replies. Looks like most people feel the odds are against you.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:11 AM
Fork Horn

IMO, the full moon can actually be an advantage. I'm able to get into the woods earlier and able to see alot more.I have noticed more movement.I usually have scouted the area I hunt prior to opening day and have a time table when certain deer are on the move.The mornings after a full moon nite has altered some of thedeer patterns.Not sure if a coincidence, but sure seems to be related.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:04 AM

I say hunt when you can because it may be your last. Just be sure to take a kid with you.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:45 AM

full moon i see deer at first light, or mid day. i live in the country, barbour co. and during the full moon i can see deer in fields, crossing the road, during the middle of the day, not 100% but i refer to it often.