Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help a beginner

Old 12-08-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Help a beginner

im sure you guys get this a lot but here goes... ive spent my whole life in the outdoors but its been fishing. for as long as i can remember ive wanted to hunt big game but didnt know where to start. now, at 23, i figured its time to get out there, but the problem is that i know absolutely nothing about hunting. are there any websites you guess might be able to recommend that can tell me stuff like where and when to hunt, how to find deer, etc.

any help is appreciated
Old 12-09-2005, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help a beginner

go to your statesfish and gamesite...here in florida it's FWC.
you'll learn alot from that, but continue to read all you can on here and other websites., you'll be amazed what you learn, then try to apply what you have learned when in the woods...talk to your friends to see if they'll let ya tag along too.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The forum is a great place to start! I don't know where you are located at but in most Northern states alot of the main hunting is done for the year... You can stil harvest some deer it is much harder.. If you got to your local DNR they will help you out alot... If you have been in the outdoors your whole life you shouldn't have much problem,you knw alot of the ropes already then!
Old 12-09-2005, 04:24 AM
Spike

I agree with huntnma see local regulations then start prod'in people for info. search through all the threads even the old ones you will learn alot
If you have never hunted anything my advice is to start on small game then work your way up to deer
Old 12-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

I would definitely agree with everyone here, check your state's regulations on their website. Sometimes they are easier and quicker to get information on than their books. This forum is also great. Everyone is always anxious to help someone new. I would also agree to start with smaller game and work yourself up to big game. I am sure that it's what most of us have done. By the way welcome to the forum!!!! Let us know how it goes for you.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ask questions here. It really is a great site for learning about all things hunting.
Remember, No question is stupid if you are serious about learning this sport. Most of the members here will be glad to help you along
Old 12-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

welcome. this year is almost over for me so I'm guessing it's coming to the end for . if not get out there, watch and learn. there are a lot of great guys and gals here on the board and you can learn a lot of tricks. not to mention read a lot of good tales.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ryan,

If you have specific questions, I would suggest that you find someone to set down with and ask. Experience and failures will be your best learning tools for eventual success.

If you do not have anyone to ask, I would be more than happy to help in anyway. You can PM me if you like.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot em where they are the biggest and always hunt with the wind in your face!

dd