Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

beginner bow

Old 02-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Default beginner bow

hey, what would be a good bow for a starting bow hunter im 13 and 5,2. My budgets are low because my dad doesnt hunt [:@]. I was looking at sports authority and i saw what looked like an ok recurve bow for $30. Would this work for rabbit and squirell hunting. I think it was called the sioux by fred bear or something. If it wont hunt will it be ok to target sgoot around with until i can save for a real bow?

Old 02-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: beginner bow

welcome to the sight bud! Any bow to start out with is a great thing. As far as squirrel/rabbit hunting you could probably do it. As far as target shooting definitley. A good idea would be to work hard and get some money, you could work your way up to a decent compound. One of the best things you could ever do is to find a local archery pro shop and hang out there quite a bit. Try to go there a couple times a week and you'll learn a lot just by listening. Who knows if the owner takes a liking to you maybe he'll teach you himself. I've learned a lot of what I know about bow tuning/and repairing bows as well as working on them because the owner of one of my local pro shops took a liking to me. Now we're pretty good friends, and I know most everybody who comes in the shop except for guys that have never stopped in before. I'm glad you're getting into archery man, that's great to hear. Work hard....and don't get discouraged. It takes a lot of time and practice. Hopefully this will be something that grabs you for life. Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 02-22-2006, 10:54 PM

yeah there no shops near me the closest is like 30 minutes away which is hard to get to with my parents. Hopefull archery will be like weldinglearn and love.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well that kinda stinks. I guess you're second best bet would be to get your parents to maybe invest in a bowhunting magazine for you. Bowhunt America is a great magazine, with good information and tips. That may just help you out too. Remeber: You're going to learn a lot from experience and it may take a while but stick with it, it'll grow on you quickly!
Old 02-22-2006, 11:06 PM

is the genesis anygood? my dads friend works at a shop so he can get me a great deal
Old 02-23-2006, 01:27 PM

Or listen to these guys I am getting alot of good info..
Old 02-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The genesis is alright for a beginner, but you really won't be able to hunt with it at all, all you can really do is target shoot. Another good idea would be to look on e-bay for a cheaper compound. You might be able to find a good deal on a reflex as well. You're draw weight may be around 45 lbs considering your age. If you're kind of a smaller guy then it may be less or more, but then again i don't know how strong you are.....Like I said look around on e-bay. If all you want to do is target shoot for a while then the genesis would work alright. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:10 PM

I bought a bow from wal-mart for $80-$100 its not the best, but I guess it works its a PSE Silverhawk.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:46 PM

TTRY ON EBAY MAYBE YOU FIND SOME NICE CHEAP BOW
Old 02-23-2006, 08:52 PM

The one you are looking at from the local Mart would work well for tossing arrows at rabbits and squirrels. Maybe even a snake or two........aaaahhhhhhhh.....I hate those things.....I digress.

Good advise here. Work hard and try to buy one with wheels and cables. Maybe if you have a birthday coming up you could ask for BassPro or Cabelas gift cetificates. Then you could get yourself a Browning Micro Adrenaline or something like that. Be careful though. Once you start this archery business there's no turning back. It'll hook ya!!

Quick Reply: beginner bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.