Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

camo for the cold

Old 12-07-2005, 04:52 PM

Default camo for the cold

i get to go hunting in bama this weekend, was packin and found out i don't have any good cold weather gear. the low this weekend there is going to be about 30. how thick of camo do i need? 70 degrees is cold to me, used to about 90 with humidity. i'm leavin friday, so walmart is probably the only thing i'll have time to get too
Old 12-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: camo for the cold

Zester I live and hunt in Huntsville ( north Alabama)..this weekend is going to be cold..wet and windy ..their even calling for some snow showers ...with that being said it most likely won't happen but we do have some cold north winds right now ...I suggest wearing something woll to cut the cold wind if you have it ..also layer up ..it might be in the 20's before daylight then be in the 50s afternoon ..where will you be hunting in Bama?

dd

Old 12-07-2005, 07:18 PM

i'm hunting in colombia
Old 12-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

Shorts and a T-shirt should do.......

If it ever gets back up to the 30s here in Illinois, thats what ill be wearing because it will feel HOT compared to this weather.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:30 AM

You should be able to find something at Wal-Mart. I know the one here has some insulated overalls and with enough layers you should be fine if it's only in the 20's depending on wind. You can also pick up some of the deals that warm your hands and feet.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

remember to layer......a good cotton long underwear then a fleece pair on top maybe? I like a fleece turtleneck and then a sweatshirt over top. Just remember if you have a good walk to your stand take your heavy coat off for the walk and then put it on after you have settled in. Sweating is the main reason for most guys getting cold. Also if you dont have heavy boots, try a pair of normal socks and then a heavy wool sock over them. Buy some hand warmers if you think you will run into problems, youd be surprised how one or two of them can warm you right up.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:39 AM

Couple years ago I bought some micro fleece long jhons at wal mart that are sold under the remington brand. They work pretty good for VA winters. They still have em for like 14 bucks for the top and 12 for the bottoms. This year I saw the same product line there with a knock off of underarmour. they were 15 dollars. Haven't picked any of those up yet though. Like the good doctor said layers are key cuz noontime temps likely to be warm.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

wal-mart should have some type of thermal underwear for next to your skin. stay away from cottons. next layer with some fleece. by 2 sizes bigger to give you loft. if you get camo you can always take your shell/outer layer off and just wear the camo fleece and not be worried about sticking out. the shell/outer garment should be waterproof not because of the rain so much but because of the wind. if the wind cuts through to your bottom layer or your skin your screwed. i bought x-static under were and some fleece(middle layer)this year from wal-fart and it ran me under 100 bucks easy. layering is the key though. buying those thick, insulatedone piece tops and if your to hot or start to sweat on the walk to the stand you have to take off 80% of your insulation. layering offers you to remove small amounts of insulation and give you more flexibility. good luck and happy hunting.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

remember to layer......a good cotton long underwear then a fleece pair on top maybe? I like a fleece turtleneck and then a sweatshirt over top.
Stay away from cotton, it holds moisture.
"If you wear cotton you will feel rotton."
"Cotton kills."