Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Shotgun slugs, what is most accurate at longer range? >

Shotgun slugs, what is most accurate at longer range?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun slugs, what is most accurate at longer range?

Old 12-05-2005, 01:18 PM

Default RE: Shotgun slugs, what is most accurate at longer range?

Personally,
I use an Encore 209x50 and am very, very happy with it.
But, I bought my kids a 20 gauge last year, didn't like the performance w/ buckshot so I bought a rifled, ported barrel for it. One of the ones with the scope mount on the barrel. I bought some Winchester Partition Gold Sabots. Man, this thing reall works well. The ported barrel pretty much eliminates any kick and the boys like shooting it. I put a 3x9 scope on it and it will shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards with the partition gold sabots all day long.
The 26 grain hollow point jacketed bullet (looks like a big handgun hollowpoint bullet) exits the bore at 1900 fps or so and the ballistics have it 3 inches high at 100 yards and dead on at 150. Now, I would not at this point in my kids life let them shoot at a deer at 100 yards, 80 to 100 is about the limit, but I have shot the gun at 150 and it will put every bullet inside a 4 inch circle. I don't know how much energy it has left at this distance, but I would think it to be plenty.
So far, they have killed two deer with this setup and it really does the trick. Full pass through, great tissue damage and very accurate. Hopefully they will be using this gun for another year or two before I have to get them a .243 or something similar.
BTW, the link for the Winchester site w/ ballistics and performance is;
http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotdetail.aspx?symbol=SSP20&use=7&gauge=2 0

R
Hank
Old 12-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun slugs, what is most accurate at longer range?

Here is a post I wrote a number of months ago in response to a similar thread...

-----------------------------------------------------------

There seems to be three or four favorites that will shoot in any gun. Ideally you get lucky and the one with the best ballistics performance also happens to give your gun the best accuracy.

The top four are:

Winchester Partition gold
Lightfield Hybrid Exp
Remmington Copper Solid
Remmington Core Lokts

In terms of down range performance, they rank from best to worst:

1).Remington Core Lokt Ultra's/ Winchester Partitions
2).Remington Copper solids
3).Lightfields Exp

To give an idea of how far behind the Core Lokts/Partions the Lightfields are think about this fact.

12 ga Remington Core Lokt sighted 2 in high at 50 yds = 0 inches at 150 yds

12 ga Lightfield Exp sighted 2 in high at 50 yds = -9.7 inches at 150 yds