Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 12 gauge slugs, which are most accurate? >

12 gauge slugs, which are most accurate?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12 gauge slugs, which are most accurate?

Old 05-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default 12 gauge slugs, which are most accurate?

Gentleman I have a question for all you slug gun hunters. I just bought a rifled slug barrel 2-3/4 for my A5. I have always hunted with a centerfire rifle so I really have no idea on which slugs to use or what weight. The barrel is fully rifled and has adjustable iron sights on it. any help would probably save me alot of money. The barrel is an aftermarket Hastings barrel. The seller told me that his father used Remmington copper slugs with it. Thx. Doug Olwin
Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 12 gauge slugs, which are most accurate?

i would try a couple brands. i like the federal barnes x, winchester gold partitions,hornady sst. they are pricey so go slow and shoot off a solid rest.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM

Sauer,

For what it's worth, my best accuracy comes with remington copper solids, but I shoot an Ithaca.

Kevin
Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Alright, a couple of things here.

First people need to read around just a little bit before posting asking questions. This topic has been covered plenty of times, most recently in the Deer Hunting Section ( http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3414187 ). Topics can be searched by the SEARCH THE FORUM feature at the top of the page.

And secondly, each shotgun and each barrel has it's own preference as to which slugs shoot the most accurate out of them. There is NO general coverall recommendation. I suggest trying maybe 3 different brands and choose brands that are readily available in your area.

Once you get something to your liking I recommend buying as much as you can afford all from the same lot to retain as much uniformity in thm as possible.

Hasting's barrels have a 1 in 35 twist so you do not want any of the faster (1600fps +) ammo. The faster ammo is designed for faster twist rifling.

Keep the barrel clean! Clean it often, especially between trying different brands of slugs. 50, MAYBE 75 yards should give you the accuracy results you need to make a choice.

Good luck and good hunting.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Thx for all the help gentlemen.