Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Shotgun slugs, what is most accurate at longer range? >

Shotgun slugs, what is most accurate at longer range?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun slugs, what is most accurate at longer range?

Old 12-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default Shotgun slugs, what is most accurate at longer range?

After taking some heat on another post about my chance at a 150 class buck at 80 yards and using a shotgun with slugs, what do you slug hunters use as far as gun, barrel, scope and of course slugs? I know there are some newer slugs out now that are more accurate, with some touting a 200 yard range. Are they really this accurate at that kind of range? I use a Mossberg UltiMag 835 with a rifled slug barrel. Can I get long range accuracy with this setup and what slugs would you suggest. I hunt a "big" buck area and would like to score on one. Thanks for any input!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:27 AM

Default RE: Shotgun slugs, what is most accurate at longer range?

I hunt with a Remington 870 with a fully rifled barrell, a Bushnell Duskto Dawn Scope, and use and will ONLY USE lightfield hybrid sabot slugs!!! They are awesome and the gun isa tack driver with them. I have dropped 160-180lb bucks dead in their tracks with a shoulder shot at 8-100 yards. These are upstate NY deer and pretty thick. With a smoothbore slug gun I have always used Brenneke 3inch magnum slugs and they were always good out to 100 yards never had a problem.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:39 AM

The answer is yes.

http://www.buckhammerchallenge.com

Remington Buckhammers are the newest in a long line of rounds that are produced to answer the call of slug hunters like you and me.

Other loads are offered by Remington, Lightfield, Brenneke, Federal, and Winchester that tote tight (2" or better) groups out to and beyond 100 yards for slug gunners with smooth bores or rifled barrels.

I have been looking at this lately too, as the deer I took here in NY this year was sitting at about 85 yards and had multiple chances at deer this weekend, but at about 120. It's tough passing up those shots knowing that your set up doesn't easily lend itself to long distance capability.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

i would love to try those buckhammers in my 835. i use 3" lightfields and they are accurate. they're not meant to pass through an animal but use up all the energy inside the body cavity. both loads are pretty close as far as energy at 100 yards. the buckhammers are heavier by about 90 gr. though. i also would like to try those winchester partition slugs. but for now I'll stick with the lightfields. they tend to run a little cheaper than the competition. all i think will be similar in ballistics. you'll just have to see which your gun likes to digest
Old 12-05-2005, 09:40 AM

Tell me more about the Buckhammers? I have never seen them?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

I use the same setup as scshep2002 except I use a burris fullfield 1-4x. andIhave hunted upstate NY. Everything he says is true. IMO if you are in big buck country and need more distance(150 yards)then get a inline ML.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:37 AM

Who was giving you crap about shooting a deer at 80 yards with a shotgun? I must have missed that one. I know of smooth bores that could do that.

How accurate your gun is really depends on your gun and what you shoot out of it. We could suggest ammo that might work, or that has been proven to work by others, but that doesn't mean your gun will like it. Lots of people swear by Lightfields, personally I am not that impressed by them. They don't shoot that well out of my gun and they really are not designed that differently than a winchester or simular round.

I think 200 yards is pushing it a bit for slug gun, but it can be done with some rifles if you find the right ammo. 80 yards should be a piece of cake with a rifled barrel if you shoot half way decent. Most of the guys I know get between 1 and 2 inch groups at 100 yards if they do thier part. Mine will shoot pretty much anything well at 50 or 60 yards. However when you get to 100 yards it gets sort of picky. And mine does not seem to like the faster 1900 fps rounds. I just don't think I have the twist for it. So I look for ammo that is 1700 fps or slower and seem to do alright.

Paul
Old 12-05-2005, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: scshep2002

Tell me more about the Buckhammers? I have never seen them?
Follow the link and you'll see all the info you need. The only problem I have with Buckhammers is that I'm still shooting a smooth bore barrel. The Buckhammers are designed for rifled barrels. Plus the fact that they are about $12/box.

Some friends of mine used them this year and really like them both on the range and off. One is using an 835 with a rifled, cantilever barrel and a 3-9x40 Simmons.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Old 12-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Who was giving you crap about shooting a deer at 80 yards with a shotgun? I must have missed that one. I know of smooth bores that could do that.
That's no problem for my smooth bore shooting Brenneke's.

Quick Reply: Shotgun slugs, what is most accurate at longer range?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.