Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shotgun slugs

Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Spike

Default shotgun slugs

Does anyone use winchester platinum tip slugs for deer hunting and if so how do you rate it's performance? I'm new to hunting with a shotgun.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: shotgun slugs

Nope, prolly good tho. Slug guns all shoot differently. You're best to buy several boxes and see which one you get the best pattern out of. Than sight it in to whatever slug you get the best pattern with. It gets expensive but is worht it in the long run.
Good luck!
-Jake
Old 05-06-2009, 03:30 AM
Dominant Buck

They are expensive BIMO are worth it. Great speed with accuracyand lots of knock down performance
Old 05-06-2009, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

I've tried many brands, just about everything made to be honest.. none shot better out of my smooth barreled modified choked WW1300 than the Federal TRU_BALL..2 3/4 inchers to boot, amazing performance and devestating on game... they aren't expensive either compared to most.. TRY EM'...report back also..
Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Obviously accuracy is of the utmost importance. I am one who does not squeeze a shot on a deer unless I fully believe I am going to put my shot in the boiler room. I am not, nor will I ever become a hail mary hunter. So go ahead and try a few bowes of what intrests you and see what it does with your gun. You may be pleased, you may not or you may just feel there could be something a little better and to your liking.

Using an 12 gauge H&R USH I have one shot. Fortunately it always lives up to it's end of our deal. Personally, I prefer to hit a deer with the heaviest slug I can. Brenneke 3" Gold Mags & 2-3/4' Brenneke Heavy Field Mags.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would have to agrre there UNCLE MATT...Brenekes shot the best..but i also like lightfeild slugs..IMO those are the two best brands for the money..Redline you shouldnt over look them..Good luck with finding the slug that best fits your GUN.

BH818
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am still using the old partition gold sabots... have had great success w/ them. I think the platinums are their replacement...

Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

REDLINE,
I do not have specific experience withthat brand, but for purposes of clarity, you may want to mention whether you are shooting a smoothbore shotgun with rifled slugs, or a rifled-barrel shotgun with sabot slugs. You'll get better responses.

Whatever your setup, I have to agree that trying several different ammo types is the key to getting the most out of your gun, especially with shotgun slugs. When I bought my Rem870 rifled gun, I took 5 brands to the range and, after sighting in with some cheap ammo, compared the 5. It was very enlightening to see the difference. Some were very consistent, and others werebarely ableto keep a group on aplate at 50 yards.

Also, be aware that the gun/ammo match is only for a specific gun. Different guns of the same make and model can prefer different ammo.

Good luck with your new venture.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

REDLINE,
I do not have specific experience withthat brand, but for purposes of clarity, you may want to mention whether you are shooting a smoothbore shotgun with rifled slugs, or a rifled-barrel shotgun with sabot slugs. You'll get better responses.

Whatever your setup, I have to agree that trying several different ammo types is the key to getting the most out of your gun, especially with shotgun slugs. When I bought my Rem870 rifled gun, I took 5 brands to the range and, after sighting in with some cheap ammo, compared the 5. It was very enlightening to see the difference. Some were very consistent, and others werebarely ableto keep a group on aplate at 50 yards.

Also, be aware that the gun/ammo match is only for a specific gun. Different guns of the same make and model can prefer different ammo.

Good luck with your new venture.
Exactly.
My father in laws Browning and my buddy's 870 w/ rifled barrells throw Lightfield sabot slugs very well. Another buddy has great luck w/ the new Hornady Sabots.
The Winchesters seem to shoot the best for me out of my 1100 rifled barrel.

If you are looking for smooth bore slugs, again, I have had luck w/ Winchester & Brennake.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Spike

Gonna have to buy several brands & put in some range time - it's the only way to know for sure what's gonna work. My scoped rifle barrel Rem. 870 shoots Lightfield 3" Hybrids the best - they kick like a raped ape, but shoot better groups than any other slug I tried. Even the 2.75" Lightfields didn't shoot as good. I've got my 870 sighted in for 2" high at 100 yds, but most of my shots are right around 50 yds.

My 870 didn't like the hypervelocity slugs like the platinums, hornandy's, etc. I'm told it might have to do with the slower rifling of the remington barrels...

Quick Reply: shotgun slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.