Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Snow Coming to VA!

Old 12-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Snow Coming to VA!

Hey Guys,

It is supposed to start snowing here in VA around noon where I am. I am going to get in the woods as soon as I can. Noon at latest. It has been rather slow for a week or two, do you think this snow will have them up and moving? I am going to hunt food sources and just sit. Any other ideas of what would be good today or tomorrow in the snow?

Mike
Old 12-05-2005, 08:10 AM

Default RE: Snow Coming to VA!

Hey Mike, I talked to my dad yesterday, he said he saw two four pointers sparing in the backyard and a Monster buck came in after! All he told me it was biggest he's ever seen and had adrop tine! I think I'm going to give him a crash course in crossbow hunting, He's hasn't killed a deer since 79'! I think there moving right now, they know a snow is coming. GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Dave,

Do you think it is better to hunt the front moving in or hunt after the snow comes. I have always heard that they will move with the impending storm, but a buddy told me this morning that he did not think that they moved much during the snow. I don't know if I can hunt this afternoon and tomorrow, but don't know which one would be better. I am leaning toward hunting today instead of tomorrow. I think they will want to eat before the heavy snow comes.

Mike
Old 12-05-2005, 09:06 AM

Yes, I think it's better before too. But, here I am sitting on a computer!You can see them a lot better in the snow, they know this, and you stand out even more. So get ready for long distance shots now, the woods are really going to open up!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, if you can get out while the front is moving in, you're in a good position to see deer. While the snow is falling hard, is not such a good time, and then after it clears, especially a day after, will yeild another good hunt. This is when they are quite hungry and have to search hard to find food with the snow cover.