Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 12-01-2005, 10:49 AM

Default PLEASE HELP!!!

I hunt in Valley Falls,NY.I hunt about 100-150yds from a heavily used feeding plot and there are signs of deer all around me!!!I see at least 4 to 5 does a day moving in and out of the feeding plot.So I recently decided to set up my trail camera, And see if it sees anything walking the trails.....The last two nights i have seen 3 MOSNTER BUCKS!!!So i decided to walk the trails andI scene several fresh rubs.But know matter what i do i cant see them while im hunting!!!Ive used calls,scents,everything.

Please Help be capture one of these monster bucks!

Thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 11:22 AM

Default RE: PLEASE HELP!!!

Don't hunt there during the day. You'd prob be just wasting your time, as you already know. If you are really determined to get on of thesebruisers I would bring your sleeping bag along. Hunt the late afternoon and spend the night so your there at day break. That would be your best chance of catching one of them moving from there beding area to the food plot and vise versa. Still use your scents but I would stay away from the calling, since you already know they use that trail readily. Good luck! Let me know how youmake out.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

big bucks won't put up with very much before they go completely nocturnal or move out of the area.. they didn't get that big for no reason.. and post rut it is tougher to hunt them because they are thinking about eating instead of sex... which therefore removing the 2nd head from the equation doubles their brainpower.... and seeing all kinds of strange creatures (us) and strange smells wafting around the woods has them really uptight... us in the woods to them is no different than us knowing there is a stranger with a gun sitting at your kitchen table...

therefore... you have to be well masked for scent... very quiet and very patient... the last thing you want to do is go walking around your hunting area... save that for august or september... get on stand well before the first trace of daylight... in michigan we can legally shoot half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset... therefore i am on stand at least an hour before shooting time... this lets me slip in well under cover of darkness.. get setup (quietly as possible)... get situated and lets things quiet down... same goes for afternoon hunting... difficult to get on stand under cover of darkness so you have to be slow moving and quiet.... and leave well after dark... if there are deer around when shooting time ends stay put until they move off and you can slip out without waking the neighborhood...

for going in and out under cover of darkness one of the miners lights for your melon work very well... you may spook deer moving in the dark but they will not know "exactly" what you are and therefore will be more tolerant and not skidaddle on you...

unfortunately my money is going to be on those bucks comin by you before you can ever see what they are other than shapes...
Old 12-03-2005, 08:27 PM

How often have u caught these bucks on camera? I once read that mature bucks very rarely if ever use the "deer highways". They mostly move and stay under the cover of heavy brush. If i was going to try to shoot one of these monster bucks i would place a stand somewhere that u can find a "back entrance" to the food plot. Heavycover or maybe pines is deffinatly your best option. Get in your stand at least 45 min before leagal shooting hours and stay all day (or as long as possible). If he has grown to be as big as you say he is then he will not enter the plot till after sundown and he will leave the plot before sunup. Chances are you will only get one shot at your buck so practice hard and make it count!

Also you will deffinatly want 2 or 3 different ways to get to your stand and enter on the path to the stand that will be best depending on wind condition.

Good Luck!
Old 12-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BJR224

If you are really determined to get on of thesebruisers I would bring your sleeping bag along. Hunt the late afternoon and spend the night so your there at day break.
do you mean sleep IN the stand or sleep at the bottom of the tree?? just curious, Ive heard people say theyve done that always wondered.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BJR224

If you are really determined to get on of thesebruisers I would bring your sleeping bag along. Hunt the late afternoon and spend the night so your there at day break.

In FL you can only do that on private property and not allowed on WMA's.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:46 AM
Typical Buck

bjr224 has a good idea. BE THERE EARLY. if they are mostly nocturnal i would make a mock scrape in an area were you see does alot. edge or woods your callthe second rut shold be coming into effect soon here in the upper u.s. (new york latitude). the scrapes should keep them in the area, should.use buck urine( diluted if you want) and see if you can get one of those brusiers to set up broad side of your syand. play the wind. i would stay quiet and not use calls. this time of the year i feel the majority of the deer are all about suvival. if you can mate, GREAT. but save your skin 1st . BOY I CAN FEEL YOUR EXCITEMENT! good luck. be patient. use antiscent soap and shi#, stay still and i know bro youwill nail one of these brutes. PLEEEEASE SEND PICKS. damn, i love hearing stuff like this on he board.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

you want that one of those buck heres what you do.

#1 take a flash light
#2 bring gun
#3 shine deer in face and pull trigger of gun
#4 have a fast get awayvehichle so the game warden cant catch you.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

#1 take a flash light
#2 bring gun
#3 shine deer in face and pull trigger of gun
#4 have a fast get awayvehichle so the game warden cant catch you.

This is just what I would expect someone from the swamp to say.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WHITETAILHUNTER1

So I recently decided to set up my trail camera, And see if it sees anything walking the trails.....The last two nights i have seen 3 MOSNTER BUCKS!!!So i decided to walk the trails andI scene several fresh rubs.But know matter what i do i cant see them while im hunting!!!Ive used calls,scents,everything.

Please Help be capture one of these monster bucks!

Thanks
I can never understand why someone who sees bucks and know they are there wants to walk into their bedroom or feeding area and leave scent everywhere AND most likely bump them out ... if you know the bucks are there then you KNOW the sign is there .. you might scout and find buck sign and never see a buck BUT if you see bucks in that area what difference does it make if you find the sign? I suggest you back off ..wait until the rut ...hunt the doe's and you'll most likely see the bucks ... good luck ...

dd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.