Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Snow, Snow, Now I can't shoot my rifle!!! >

Snow, Snow, Now I can't shoot my rifle!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Snow, Snow, Now I can't shoot my rifle!!!

Old 03-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Snow, Snow, Now I can't shoot my rifle!!!

How's everyone doing this time of year? Man, it snowed yesterday and this morning like crazy. We got about 9-12 inches around the twin cities and it sucks. I was going to do some shooting this week but guess I'll have to wait until the snow dissapear agian.

Cayugad- How many inches do you guys got there in that neck of the woods?

I think I got to move south..... just kidding I love the 4 seasons we have up here.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Snow, Snow, Now I can't shoot my rifle!!!

You know shooting Muzzle loaders over a fresh snow is a good idia as it will show you how your gun is using the powder ie is it all being burnt before it comes out of the barrel. Just a thought Mike
Old 03-13-2006, 05:01 PM

We got nearly 15 inches just east of the twin cities in River Falls, I spent all afternoon shoveling [:@] and could sure go for a back massage about now. Just 2 days ago it was in the mid 50's, sunshine and I was out having a great time trout fishing. Guess I can put away the flyrod and get out the ice fishing gear again with more cold temps in the forecast[&:] .
Old 03-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Dominant Buck

This is not a snow drift! We have about two feet now. This area you are looking at in the picture was CLEAR yesterday. There was actual patio out there. This is not even the area of the yard that drifts in. I'd hate to think how deep that is. And it is still snowing hard and strong.

I decided I did not want to shoot today as that would require plowing a path to the shooting table, cleaning two feet of snow off it, plowing out the shooting range, and then sitting out there in a blizzard. We are getting lake effect off Lake Superior as well, so we are really getting dumped on. That's all right. It will all melt by July and then start back up again in August... I jsut threw three more logs in the wood stove..
Old 03-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

wow, thats snow.we used to get that snow back in 70s here in pa. no more.it was 74 degrees here today,all snow is gone, susquehanna river is low as summer, thats bad. another drought i see coming for pa. this year do to no snow. i was on motorcycle all day with tee shirt on. unreal how warm this winter was in pa.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

50's and foggy here today. I feel your pain, don't you guys use snow blowers?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes of course I have a snow blower and a snow plow and even one for my ATV which works real good. Although I went out at 8:30 pm and shovelled the deck off again and this time measured the snow depth. There was 29" of it that was not a drift. I think the ATV might have a ruff time moving that from a stopped position. We will be shovelling a little more then normal tomorrow, after it stops snowing of course.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

do to no snow of big amounts here in pa.PGC has to come up with another reason to kill all doe off.they used to use that ,oh,deer are starving thing,now ,acorns are going to waste and apples too.no deer to eat all this feed in woods here. i bet they use the MAD COW DEER excuse soon to wipe doe out.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

we heard the same story here in Wisconsin.. the winters were so mild that there was little to no winter kill figures, breeding is out of control, we are increasing the doe tags for the year... and then the slaughter began. We actually did have too many does at onetime. You did not dare drive after dark in some areas. Now they have them pretty well shot off, but they are still cranking out the tags like the herd has never been better.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

That sounds like the way the Michigan DNR is doing with our deer herd. The deer herd is WAY down, except in the southern part of state where it is all private. I hunted with a bow, rifle and a muzzleloader and saw a total of 2 whole deer ( one was a buck and I got him with my muzzleloader).

Quick Reply: Snow, Snow, Now I can't shoot my rifle!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.