Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Things that bug me!!!!

Old 11-24-2005, 08:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Things that bug me!!!!

To each his own!!!
Old 11-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buddy you don't have a clue ! Most guys including me hunt small farms that has a lot of hunting pressure on or around them. Just because there are food plots or fields doesn't mean they will use it when your hunting it. I killed a big P&Y buck once but he was feeding on acorns. I knew it was a good spot for deer to feed, does that make him hand fed. I bow hunted 25 years for a chance at a deer like that. I put in a lot of long hours in the field and finally got a chance. It's usually more involved than just going out and picking out the monster you want and shoot. Just because you hunt in a crappy spot doesn't mean other guys have an unfair advantage.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

That has to be the worst case of sour grapes that I have ever heard.Many of us live and hunt in farming communities where most of the terrain consists of crops.Where do you expect us to hunt if not along fields?Many of usdo not bait andmany do not even use treestands,we simply hunt the terrain that is present.You chose where you live just as we do so acceptthe fact that your hunting conditions are not the same as oursrather than trying to downgradeother hunters success.
i'm in the same situation. on about the 400 + acres i have to hunt in ky at least 390 or it is open fields. and guess what that little bit of woods is right on the border of other property where everyone else hunts. so i have not choice but to hunt fields and fencerows. even if i do get into the woods i can still see fields. that's how small my woodlots are. just becuase you hunt fields and fencerows doesn't mean you're guaranteed a deer. i hunted this past weekend and got skunked. not to say that i didn't have opportunities but you have to hunt a different way than in the big woods.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Turk I guess everybody is entitled to their own opinions, butto come on here and complain about the way people hunt whitetail deer when you admit that you have never hunted one just doesn't make sense to me. I doubt if you know how much hunting pressure there is in the areas that those deer were taken. Why would you want to shoot the world's fattest man? I've never heard of the Lower Chordates........
Old 11-24-2005, 06:24 PM

plant some of your 390 acres to tall clover or corn or sunflowers, the deer will use it for bedding areas if they are limited otherwise.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

It was said on here before, just simplyhunting over a food plot does not guarantee you will shoot a monster buck at all.
Another point of view is that the research and work that people put into their food plots/crops is a time-consuming hobby. When someone does all that work and harvests a monster buck that deer is more than just meat and antlers, it is the result of all that hard work. It's just like anything else that you work hard at, you do it so that you can recognize the results.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:29 PM

Deer go to the food. Where there is a cornfield deer will go. This year in Pennsylvania i've never seen so much food for the animals. I have encountered spots throughout the woods where all you are walking on is acorns. I've walked past a hemlock absolutely covered with grapes. In my fathers whole life he replied when he first saw that holy CRIPE! Its something out of the ordinary to see this much food for the wildlife. If you are cheap enough to have your own foodplot and you have 3 stands right above them and you always always take a large buck out of there so be it. Myself and my family take the deer from their own environment. On the last day of the season a friend of mine was in the same tree that i hunt from looking for a buck. He saw 6 buck out of that stand. My main point is to say the deer will follow the food. Find a good source of food and you'll find the deer. Even if you dohunt a foodplot[8D]
Old 11-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lets see, 90% of the time. I hunt on public land. This year, infact yesterday I bagged a beatiful 8pt. which I will be posting in a few days when I get the pictures back. Maybe you all will think its a good buck, maybe not. This buck I got came to me by chance. I'm sure I could find out where the deer on public land go with some scouting and research. However, part of me just doesn't have time and the other part is just to lazy to scout in the summer. I'm sorry your from California, that would make me grumpy too. But if you can't get a big buck inyour current hunting stylesthen do somthing about it.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:19 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

First I am in Ca. I have never hunted a whitetail and never hunted out of Ca.Next time your in the woods listen to that blue jay or squirrel and thank the one who put it there. Hope i didn't affend anyone but all these monster buck pictures getting posted were flaming me a little.
What do you hunt?No reason to get flamed over a monster buck. I'll bet if you tried hunting whitetail that your opinion would change. They are much smarter then you give them credit. Food plots are no guarantee of a monster buck.The next time you hear the birds and squirrels in the woods listen. They are telling you more than your picking up. I don't go to the wooods to thank who put them there. You have tremendous opportunitiesin CA. Take a look at a map and note the states that border California. Contact the game department. There are resources available that can probably help you get a what you would consider a monster. Good Luck!!
Old 11-25-2005, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Another spear and loin cloth hunter[:-]. Go get em Danny Boone.

Instead of hunting the edge of the cut corn field tonight I think I should set up in the middle of Wal-Mart parking lot. I'd hate to take advantage of my surroundings and kill a monster deer. I'd better give them a chance.