Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How can I get rid of these things??????? >

How can I get rid of these things???????

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How can I get rid of these things???????

Old 08-22-2005, 05:52 PM

Default How can I get rid of these things???????

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of Hogs? My property is getting over run by them, and it is ruining the deer hunting. Here are a couple of pics from my trail cam. They are about a week old. This site is where we put out a mineral lick for the deer. We also put out the corn to attract them to the site. The first few days we had it out, we got some pics of deer, but after the first picture of the hogs, there are no more deer on the whole role...nothing but hogs. We trapped and killed about 65 of them (us, and the people on either side of my property roughly 300 acres in total) last year. And just to satisfy any curiosity, and to not get attacked for killing so many, we cleaned and either gave away, or donated everyone we killed.
Does anyone have ANY suggestions of what can work?
Here are the pics:

most of the role is like this, at all different times of the day
Old 08-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How can I get rid of these things???????

Kill some more and give them away, I'm sure you can donate it to Hunters feeding the Hungry and they would be thankful for everything you brought in.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:58 PM

Don't have any tips, but sure wish I lived closer to Mississippi. I'd sure do my part to help you out.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:06 PM

In Tx if you kill a hog they are pretty much like coyotes in that you can leave them lay. Hogs tend to move in and out of areas pretty frequenlty, especially on small acreage like yours. So perhaps one day the hogs will disappear, they tend to go where the food and/or water is at. In your case I would personally stop feeding corn and get reid of the mineral block. That should make the pigs move out of the area. I would also continue trapping as much as possible and I would have a "shoot on site" policy towards the pigs.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

You could get in contact with a local/state bowhunting org. likeMs.bowhunters society or United bowhunters of Ms. etc.
Have them sale tickets for a chance towin one of several unguided/guided (up to you) hog hunts.
You would be helping support bowhunting and getting read of your hog problem.
Most of these groups have volunteer's to run the hunt's and you shouldn't have to do much of anything, unless you wanted to.
Just an idea !
Old 08-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't mind driving 3.5 hours for some good pork. I'll kill as many as you want me to or legal in MS.

I got some buddies that wouldn't mind some prok chops either.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:18 PM

Silbows got a good idea. The only problem with that is the hassle that goes along with having strangers on your land and the pressure that you feel when somebody is spending their time and money to hunt your land. But its still a great idea. I remember when I was in college I donated several hog hunts and management buck huntsthrough the years to the Wildlife Society. I think we sold raffle tickets for $5 a piece. The money was used solely by the Wildlife society.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is spotlighting legal in Mississippi? Ifso,get yourself a spotlight, anAR-15, loadup a couple dozen rounds with 70gr Barnes TSX, and have at'em before the deer season starts.Invite friends and roast them up, donate what's left.

I can't believe that with as bad astheferalpig problem is in the south that they haven't spread further north.Must not handle winter well.

Mike
Old 08-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunohio

Don't have any tips, but sure wish I lived closer to Mississippi. I'd sure do my part to help you out.
yeah seriously. i love hog hunting and go every chance i get. they do taste good so i would shoot a few then keep one or so and donate the rest. when i go we usually grill on whole pig and invite a bunch of people over to eat it and give it away.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:44 PM

I can't believe that with as bad as the feral pig problem is in the south that they haven't spread further north. Must not handle winter well.
Well they are starting to spread into southern MO. Along with armadillos...they've made their way to st. louis area.

Quick Reply: How can I get rid of these things???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.