Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you load a deer in the truck yourself? >

How do you load a deer in the truck yourself?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you load a deer in the truck yourself?

Old 11-22-2005, 09:51 AM

Default How do you load a deer in the truck yourself?

I sometimes find myself hunting an area alone and I wonder what I will do about getting a deer up in the truck myself. It happened this year but he was a small buck and I was able to get him up in there myself. If he had been a big mature deer I don't think I could have done it. I have thought about buying some sort of winch or something.

Do you guys have any suggestions on this or favorite products to use?

Thanks.

EKW
Old 11-22-2005, 10:00 AM

Default RE: How do you load a deer in the truck yourself?

IF YOU USE A ATV USE IT TO HAUL IT UP THERE. IF YOU DONT USE A TIE DOWN STRAP AND AN 5X2 AND HOOK THE HOOK THROUGH THE HOOK HOLE AT TOP OF YOUR BED. IF YOU HAVE TIE HOOKS. IF YOU DONT HOOK IT TO THE RIM OF THE TOP OF YOUR BED AND CRANK IT UP THE 5X2 AND USE IT AS A SLEAD.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:11 AM

good luck with that i had a real time gettin a 200 pound deer on the back of my four wheeler
Old 11-22-2005, 10:13 AM

I don't have an ATV. What is a 5x2?
Old 11-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I take off the tailgate and lay it from the groundover the bumperas a ramp.If you are worried about scratching the tailgate,put cardboard on the bumper and groundwhere it rests.Then hook up a couple of self locking atv tiedown straps from the front of the box to the deer.Then drag the deer up the tailgate using the tiedown straps.If you need to rest or reposition simply let go of the straps as they will lock and hold the deer in place.I have loaded deer weighing over 300lbs by myself using this method.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:29 AM

Why not just use a comealong and a couple of 2X's or plywood as a ramp?Or back up against a cut bank of some sort.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

A comealong and planks or plywoodwill certainlywork if you feel like carrying extra cargo,but you already have a tailgate with you that is very easy to remove and the tiedowns are very small and don't take up much room..
Old 11-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are stuck with just picking it up, good luck!, its a challenge, you have to get the butt end in first, then try to hold it there and pull up the head/front shoulders without the back end sliding.

Easiest way is to drag it in, either back up to a slope or the tailgate or plywood or something.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:38 AM

Oh sorry Stubblejumper - I actually thought the tailgate idea was good (I'd never thought of it before). I was just throwing my suggestion out to the original poster. A couple 2X6's and/or plywood would be easy enough to just lay in the bed of the truck though.

By the way, just to add to my thoughts - the rope comealong is often handier than the little spooled cable type. It's more versitile with longer reach if needed.

This whole discussion made me think of a couple guys I know getting acaribou into the back of a 70s eraBronco - through the back window because the tail gate wouldn't drop. There is NO graceful way of doing this and a comealong won't help.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

I had the problem a couple years ago I was hunting by myself and got a decent buck and couldn't get it into the bed myself had to call the gf to come help me. I picked up a basket/cargo that slides into the hitch from harbor freight for about $50.

Quick Reply: How do you load a deer in the truck yourself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.