Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best long range deer caliber

Old 11-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best long range deer caliber

My first choice would be the 308 with the 7mm Rem. Mag. as a close second.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:28 PM

Well, to be honest with you I hope no one ever shoots at a deer at 200 yards. I've been hunting for a while now (years) and I shoot a 7mm. Even though that gun is capable of dropping a person at 1000 yards, I don't feel comfortable shooting at a deer no further than 100 yards but that is just me. I've seen alot of deer wounded and have had my hunt ruined by ignorant hunters that think they are a sniper in the movies.

But to answer your question, my father-in-law has a bullestics book and according to the book there a few guns tested. a .243, 270, 3006, 7mm and a 300 mag. They were tested with the best ammo for the gun. What I mean is the "best" ammo for that particular caliber of gun was chosen. They testest accuracy from 20 out to 500 yards and power ( i believe it was pounds per sq inch) To make a long story short, the 7mm was the best overall choice with bullestic silver tip shells. It was the flattest shooting, and at distances of 500 yards it was more accurate than the rest, it didn't have the knock down power of the 300 at 500 yards but it was pretty darn close. Before I knew all this, I bought a 7mm, what luck!!
Old 11-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: utmstudent

Well, to be honest with you I hope no one ever shoots at a deer at 200 yards. I've been hunting for a while now (years) and I shoot a 7mm. Even though that gun is capable of dropping a person at 1000 yards, I don't feel comfortable shooting at a deer no further than 100 yards but that is just me. I've seen alot of deer wounded and have had my hunt ruined by ignorant hunters that think they are a sniper in the movies.

But to answer your question, my father-in-law has a bullestics book and according to the book there a few guns tested. a .243, 270, 3006, 7mm and a 300 mag. They were tested with the best ammo for the gun. What I mean is the "best" ammo for that particular caliber of gun was chosen. They testest accuracy from 20 out to 500 yards and power ( i believe it was pounds per sq inch) To make a long story short, the 7mm was the best overall choice with bullestic silver tip shells. It was the flattest shooting, and at distances of 500 yards it was more accurate than the rest, it didn't have the knock down power of the 300 at 500 yards but it was pretty darn close. Before I knew all this, I bought a 7mm, what luck!!
I'm just wondering how dropping a person at 1000 yards gets brought up in this conversation? I think it might be you that watches too many movies. I am glad your maximum effective range is 100 yards, mine just happens to be alot further than that. I shot a doe this evening at 250 yards trotting right thru her neck, she never even twitched just flipped over (this was with my 7mm).
Old 11-25-2005, 06:46 PM

I think it might be you that watches too many movies.
Don't read too much into it. I am just saying this is a gun that the military useds the same caliber for the snipers. So for a gun to be used BY THE MILITARY to shoot ppl at 1000+yards, and I don't even use it to shot out past 100 yards. thats my point.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:01 PM

IMHO any cal. mentioned here would kill a deer if shot placement was right at 200 yrds but IMHO70% of the people on this topic could place a shot right at 200 yrds and maybe 30% at 300 yrds and I am not one of them so I don't try it. Out past 200 yrds? Not me, Iwould stock him and get much closer fora muchbetter quality shot! It's all in what cal. you like and feel comfortable with. Just my .02 worth

Old 11-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: utmstudent

I think it might be you that watches too many movies.
Don't read too much into it. I am just saying this is a gun that the military useds the same caliber for the snipers. So for a gun to be used BY THE MILITARY to shoot ppl at 1000+yards, and I don't even use it to shot out past 100 yards. thats my point.
I guess I wasn't aware that the military used a 7mm as a sniper rifle [&:]I think you might have it mistaken with the 308 Win or the 300 Win Mag.

I'm no expert on the military by any means, I am sure someone can clear this up.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:04 AM

Wow a lot of great story tellersputting their thoughts (me included) into this question. Nice to see that, like mostconversations people sink their credibility as soon as they open their mouths. Simply amazing!
Now back to the question. I personnally shoot a 7mm STW (8mm Remington Magnecked down to the 7mm). I hate recoil so I loaded up for deer 120gr Barnes X bullets which are leaving the barrel at approx 3400 fps. Flat shooter, accurate that gets the job done very efficiently. You might question the "hate recoil" and wonder why the huge case? It was to get that little bullet out quick and as flat as possible. Going into the 160 gr bullet range I take a thumping and it is not needed for deer. My Elk/Moose load I opted for a 140gr Barnes X to reduce recoil but still retaining a slightly heavier bullet for the bigger thicker bonedanimal. Shoot a calibrethat you can personaly handle accuratly and never shoot beyond your capabilities!
Old 11-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 58THECAT

Shoot a calibrethat you can personaly handle accuratly and never shoot beyond your capabilities!

Best advice I've heard till now!!
Old 11-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

well now! you knew everybody had a favorite. Mine is a 30-06 also. remi 742.
As far as flat shooting andcarry the distance...270....no doubt.
30-06 has more ofan arch than flat.
Dropped deer at300 with both.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

go with the 30-06.

Quick Reply: Best long range deer caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.