Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best long range deer caliber

Old 11-27-2005, 01:05 AM

Default RE: Best long range deer caliber

hands down 308 norma
Old 11-27-2005, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dexy

IMHO any cal. mentioned here would kill a deer if shot placement was right at 200 yrds but IMHO70% of the people on this topic could place a shot right at 200 yrds and maybe 30% at 300 yrds and I am not one of them so I don't try it. Out past 200 yrds? Not me, Iwould stock him and get much closer fora muchbetter quality shot! It's all in what cal. you like and feel comfortable with. Just my .02 worth

I sorry to do this dude.....
But your the one scarring me a bit here......
First off let me point out something.....Your cautious attidude although
in good judgement leads me and I think some other people on this forum to raise a RED FLAG......
Properly sighted in any of these calibers mentioned would easily reach out to 200yrds and some farther without the bullet going no more than 3"or 4.5 inches above or below your line of sight from 0 to 300yrds...All you should have to do is put your sights on target and pull the trigger......There is more than enough energy behind any of these calibers to be suffient to put down the animal it comes down to shot placement and bullet choice.........
This leads me to believe you need to practice at the range.....

Old 11-27-2005, 12:36 PM

i just can't believe ppl actually shoot out past 100 yards. my bro in law tells the same story every christmas about how he shot a deer at 275 yards with a 243 with no rest. Impressive yes, but safe, not for th edeer, He could have wounded it, missed it. If i can't call a deer in to under a distance to where i can shoot without needed a rest, then I am not shooting. If I have to have a rest to shoot then thats too far for me to try.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:38 PM

30-06 wouldnt be a bad choice but it is a slightly heavy bullet. A .270 is a very good flat shooting powerful gun.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

i just can't believe ppl actually shoot out past 100 yards. my bro in law tells the same story every christmas about how he shot a deer at 275 yards with a 243 with no rest. Impressive yes, but safe, not for th edeer, He could have wounded it, missed it. If i can't call a deer in to under a distance to where i can shoot without needed a rest, then I am not shooting. If I have to have a rest to shoot then thats too far for me to try
I tell you what.If we put a baseball up at 100 yards and you shot five timesoffhand and them we put that same baseball up at 300 yards and I shot five tomesat it with a rest,do you think that you could hit the ball more times than I could?
Old 11-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

He He !
My 9 year old son took his first deer yesterday, a spike ,with my well equipped .243, it was at 205 yds. I told him to hit the shoulder and he hit a little high, dropped him in his tracks, he also dropped a javelina at 120 yds, 2 one shot kills.
couple of threads to follow on this subject.
.243 on the small side, JamesB ? wait till you see the pic. He He !

Old 11-27-2005, 03:08 PM

I tell you what.If we put a baseball up at 100 yards and you shot five timesoffhand and them we put that same baseball up at 300 yards and I shot five tomesat it with a rest,do you think that you could hit the ball more times than I could?
No doubt I could. Do you think your gun shoots the same everytime?? let me tell you, it doesn't. The 7mm is the most accurate GUN. I have a bullistics book where they tested it against the 300, 243, 270 and 30-06. Not ot mention, I just got out of the military, so I've been trained to shoot as well. Not to mention again, that its not about who can hit the most baseballs or bottle caps or whatever, the point is, I won't dare risk missing or wounding a deer because I want to take a long range shot. If you want to go ahead, I just hope you hit it and it dies. I dont' know how long you've been hunting deer, I've only been hunting a few years and out of those few years, I've seen more jackasses wound deer and shoot one to have it run off and die somewhere because they don't want to walk out 300 yards to where they shoot at it to see if there was any signs of a hit. You may be able to hit a germ off of a cows back at 200000 yards. But it wouldn't bother me, cuz I still stand by my word, I won't take a shot more than 100 yards.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I have my money on you! Go get him tiger!

I've never met anyone with less confidence than utmstudent.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:23 PM

I have my money on you! Go get him tiger!

I've never met anyone with less confidence than utmstudent.
Confidence?? How ludicrous is that statement. Are you serious? maybe your joking. I am more confident at 100 yards than you are at 300 yards. You have more room for error. I don' thave as much. Let's not forget I've never missed either. BECAUSE i keep my distance short. I respect animals and don't want to risk wounding them. I don't have respect for anyone that abuses animals. Call it what ever you want, you sound like your 10 years old. I call it being moral towards animals, noble, high-minded, elevated, proper, ethical, righteous and/or principled.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Limiting yourself to a maximum distance of 100 yards is just plain retarted. You shoot the most "accurate" gun ever, the 7mm, and your obviously a "professional" shooter since you are military.

I'd put money I could shoot a tighter 3 shot group at 300 yards than you could at 100 yards. You said you've been deer hunting for a few years, I'm on my 10th year of deer hunting, and I have missed a few deer, not many. We could compare number of kills, and we'll see when you reach as high as me, if your hit/miss ratio is still the same.

I want to hunt with you, when that monster 30pt buck steps out at 105 yards, he would be all mine! [:-]

BTW - I have never wounded or lost an animal in all my years of hunting and shooting well beyond 300 yards.

Quick Reply: Best long range deer caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.