Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Right or wrong

Old 11-13-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Right or wrong

Question for everyone if I am in the right or wrong. I shown a hunting spot last year by a friend next to their 600+ acres. The spot I was shown was on state gamelands and is open to all hunters witha valid license. I hunted there about 7times after he showed me. Now he is making a big deal that I should ask him permission to hunt there and that its unethical for me to hunt near his property. Worth noting is the family that owns the property has been sighted in the past for baiting and have been known to shoot critters out of season....not to mention out of vehicles....who is right and who is wrong. thanks
Old 11-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Right or wrong

I'd say that your buddy is wrong, not you! Open lands, are just that, open to the public! First come, claims the spot! If he did not want you to hunt it, he should not have shown the spot to you!
My hunting buddy and I, do most all the work together. From scouting, clearing lanes, building, and placing stands. I know that not all buddies could have this type of arrangement, but at hunting camp, its like "where do you want to hunt tomorrow?" We've each killed nice deer on each others stands, with NO jealousy!
Again, your friend should not expect youNOT to hunt a certain spot on public land!
Old 11-13-2005, 08:38 PM

This one is a no brainer....your friend is 100% wrong. Public land is just that, public to anyone with a license. Tell your paranoid friend that if he were a friend he probably would let you hunt on his 600 acres. My goodness, the idiots outnumber the logical folks in America these days.

Vashadowhunter
Old 11-13-2005, 08:40 PM

I agree with the above 2. You are right. He shouldn't have shown you the land if he didn't think you'd hunt on it. 2nd, it's public land so it's open to anyone.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Your freind is definitly in the wrong. but the question you need to ask yourself now is How good a freind is he to you? this may cause a little friction in your freindship but if you do not care about that, then just keep on hunting the spot.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:46 PM

Your friend is wrong ! ..... Now the sticky part, when someone shows you
ahunting spot, that is theirs, meaning they found it (public land included ). You should respect that the spot is their's. Now I not saying you can't hunt it you can, but, I would ask are you hunting that spot, this weekend, because if not I going to give it a try. I don't like way he is
tellingyou to ask first. Ihave showed friends some good hunting spots on public land, that I hunt. And it is a little un-settling to me when they hunt it with other people or abuse the spot...As long as your not pinching his 600 acres, which I can't see how you are. He shouldn't have a problem.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:03 AM

Hunt there.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Dominant Buck

As long as you don't cross his property line, you can hunt right next to it if you are on public land and have your license and permits in legal hunting season.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:50 AM
moderator1

I would be there right now...