Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hanging/Skinning/Butchering

Old 11-04-2005, 05:49 AM

Default RE: Hanging/Skinning/Butchering

ORIGINAL: one on one

here in al, we mostly kill it, go skin it & quarter it up, then put it in a ice cooler for about 4 days,draining the water and adding fresh ice daily, this will drain all the blood out for processing,(ready to eat)

This is what we go as well. I am in Ga, your nextdoor neighbor. You just have to be careful to drain the water daily and add more ice,last year a buddy forgot to drain the water, a week late the meat was not able to be used.
Kim
Old 11-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I hang for 3-5 days depending on temperature, then skin and debone. Important to trim all fat and tallow from meat for best results.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:42 AM

I agree with One on One, its warm in Georgia so we skin, quarter, and ice the meat as soon after the deer is taken as possible. Since I started doing this I have not had a single deer taste "gamey" or "wild" thats maybe 50 deer in the last 10 years. Before I was introduced to this method I would field dress a deer and take it to the deer cooler to hang, most of the deer I did this way had "gamey" taste.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also, don't store your cuts in garbage bags as the bags are not food safe and leach out bad stuff.
Can anybody tell me if there is any advantage or disadvantage to putting meat in a ( food safe) bag while aging in the fridge for a week or two, instead of aging without a bag? I'm wondering if some air circulation is beneficial, if there is no problem with other fridge odors.
Excellent advice buckstopshere on not using Garbage bags for your meat.

As to your question, a bag isn't a good way to fridge age meat. Main reason is the meat most likely will sit in the blood that draws out of the meat, whichcan besuspect to bacteria and eventually rotting. If you want to fridge age your meat or cuts for any duration it is best to wrap it in brown butcher wrap put on a cookie sheet/plate with a paper towel and replace the paper towel when it gets soaked with the blood. If your just doing it for a day or soyou'll have no problems with putting it in food safe bags. I do this lots so I can cut and then wrap in one process with aclean work space. Your right about circulation to an extent thus why meat is hung to age. However if your talking cuts of meat then your just exposing more meat to air which will result in skin over and loss.What you could do is debone the rear quarter, remove the backstraps and age these protions of the meat in a fridge exposed for a few days. While you'll still get skin over the loss would be far less than specific cuts. These are where you want your steak, chops and roasts from ondeer sized game. In terms of the rest of the meat I see no real value with aging meat that is slated for stewing or grind when it comes to wild game.