Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

butchering

Old 11-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default butchering

Do you butcher your own deer or take it some where to be done? Say you going to let your deer hang for a day. I have heard its best to skin the deer since the skin holds alot of the heat in. The meat is now exposed to the elements. Anything could get on the meat now dirt etc. what do you do?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: butchering

I butcher my own usually right away but if I let it hang i make sure it stays cold and i leave the skin on so it doesn't dry out the meat
Old 11-13-2006, 06:42 PM

we bring our deer to be proccesed the next day. but we don't EVER let out deer hang... then again we don't need to lol i'd bring it in right away if i were you... just my opinion
Old 11-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do it myself. I skin as soon as I hang to ensure the entire carcass cools. I hang mine in a garage or shed so no worry about direct sunlight, dirt, etc. Skin over will result after a couple days hanging, though mine are cut and wrapped within 48 hours as I see no benefit to aging venison. If the deer skins over it really isn't a big deal you'll just need to trim the exposed portions off when doing your specific cuts. IMO better than keeping the body temerature in longer by not skinning, rots from the inside out. I remove the tenderloin immediately as they skin over quickly and benefit nothing from hanging.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I hang and bone mine out within an hour of killing it , it's in the freezer within 3 hours .
Old 11-14-2006, 07:18 AM

I and my buddies process our own deer. It really depends on the temp as to how long to let hang or butcher same day. We did 4 deer last Tuesday that were killed 3 days prior. There is nothing wrong with letting deer hang a few days if cold enough to do so. It is also ok to leave the skin on if cold enough to leave hang a few days as well. To each there own. I and my buddies have never had a problem with anything doing it our way.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I skin it within hours of shooting it. Up here its usually more of a problem having it freeze before we can cut it than getting it to cool. Temps at night during deer season range from zero to 20 above. Althoug the extremes will run from 40 above to 15 below zero. I like to have it cut and ready to freeze within a day of the kill.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

If you care to hang your deer, walmart sells cheese cloth bags to enclose your deer from bugs and dirt.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 AM

Iusually skin it and quarter it right after we kill it. Then put it in ice water for 1 to 2 days letting it soak. Then cut all the meat up myself. I might have some sausage made once or twice a year.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:20 AM

down here in Texas it's usually not cold enough until way late in the season to hang our deer. so, we usually get it into an ice chest quick. when i get it home, i like to debone it and remove all of the stray hair and crap and stick in the fridge for 4-5 days. after that, i will package it for the freezer.

Quick Reply: butchering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.