Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

processing deer

Old 11-02-2005, 07:02 PM

Default processing deer

How do you folks deal with the slime layer on the deer meat ?...Is there a way to make it easier to get off ?.I been just pulling off what I can, as I cut up the meat for packing.but seems to be taking a while to get it all.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: processing deer

I usually soak mine in water with a little salt. Its easier to get that film off then.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

harpman,
Sounds like you are cutting the meat within a short time of being skinned. Letthe Deer/Elk hang for aday in a cool area after skinned. Once cold the slime actually hardens.The slime (silverskin) is easy to trim off the meat after the propper cuts have been made. Good luck!!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DOUBLE-LUNG

harpman,
Sounds like you are cutting the meat within a short time of being skinned. Let the Deer/Elk hang for a day in a cool area after skinned. Once cold the slime actually hardens. The slime (silverskin) is easy to trim off the meat after the propper cuts have been made. Good luck!!
I would have to agree..
Old 11-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would have to agree..
Me too.

However if you must hot bone or process the animal before you get let rigor do it's thing (aka hang for a day or so), then make your cuts, package and trim prior to cooking. Silver skin will not taint the meat like fat so the benefit comes in the eating side and as long as this done it makes no difference to the quality. The other option is take a thin layer off the cuts prior to packaging if your the type who doesn't like dealing with it before cooking!
Old 11-04-2005, 05:30 AM

I take it off the same way I do with Chicken. I take a small pearing knife and cold running wather, somtime I will put it in ice water for a little while before doing it, but if you hold it under the running water and take the pearing knife and sort of skin it like a fish, you can get it off really easy. My husband is amazed at how clean I can get it.

Kim