Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Ethics Question...

Old 11-05-2005, 02:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting Ethics Question...

i have ridden with and worked with the game and fishofficers here in Arkansas for over 20 years and i know that checking deer under another name is a major offense. if caught, you stand to loose everything you have with you, from guns and vehicles to hunting privledges for a couple of years. and they don't have to get you coming out of the woods. a man at a deer camp i was in wouldn't check his deer on the camp check list that i had gotten, but went all the way into town to check his deer. seemed odd to the g/f officer who knew us and hunted in the next camp, so he did some checking. seems this guys kids had killed several deer the first week of the season. he made a few calls to the schools in the town the guy was from and found that his kids were in school on the days they were supposed to be in camp and killing deer. cost him several hundred dollars and he got off easy. he knew he had broken the law, and the officer told him that he was being kind by not taking his truck and car, since his wife was driving it to pick up the deer he killed. he was checked almost every day the next year, and he dropped out of the camp the next year. i later heard he hadn't gotten any better, bragging to someone i knew that he had killed 21 deer in one year, using others tags and using tags two or three times. hope they catch him and throw him under the jail house![:@]the deer he killed illeagally might have been the one my young daughter could have killed, but will never have a chance to now. that's why i am so against killing more than you are allowed-it might be the one a younger hunter would have killed. and we need all the younger hunters we can get-they are the future and we need to help them all we can.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

It was wrong
Uncle Matt nailed it.
I too have land, any moose in my yard is not mine and I am not owed anything, though I love seein moose in my yard.
Many of you seem to think because this was his farm that this is ok. The point is the deer belongs to the public and it was taken illegaly.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:10 AM

Yes, those guys sure did have a loose tong. Here in Va. you can buy as many tags as you want(doe). Remember we need harvest as many deer as we can it will only help them out in the long run. I would be more concerned about you drinking beer and then driving home!!

Cheers
Old 11-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

bristowboy 20 sez........
Just think, there are MILLIONS of deer, that 1 deer isnt going to make the rest of them disappear.
Eric, I don't think you want to go there. Let's look at it this way..............

You have a big ol pile of $20 bills. And for the sake of trying to make this point I will use some other guys names (NO HARM INTENDED GUYS).

See first, Doctor Death figures hey I know a guy down on his luck and if I just pull 1 of those $20 bills out of the pile, Eric won't notice, he's got plenty more. There's still a big pile of twenties. (He never gives the guy the money cause he breaks both legs running from your money pile.)

Then, it's trailer, he just needs a $20 for some gas in his truck. "Ah, it's a big pile, no one will notice. Heck, I'll grab two $20 bills and fill 'er up." There's still a big pile of twenties. (He doesn't get far cause he bottoms out on a rock and puntures his gas tank, it ignites and char broils his truck.)

And mustad needs to pick up some cigarettes, he lifts a twenty, too and there's still a big pile of $$$. (He winds up being arrested for possesion of cigarettes without a tax stamp.)

And skeeter, with that beef jerky habit, pulls a couple twenties, but there's still a big pile of cash. (The jerky he buys turns out to be rancid and he spends three days in the hospital with food poisoning.)

knifemakerbill has been eyeing a new oil stone, and he pulls a couple twenties. But there's still a big pile of bills, so it's fine. (The so-called oil stone turns out to be junk and breaks in half first time using it.)

Stubblejumper wants to get the oil changed in his truck before going on that road trip hunting, so he'll pay for that out of your pile too. No one will really notice, right? (But he gets shafted when the kid at Jiffy Lube fails to tighten the plug, he looses the oil and blows the motor.)

The "only one" mentality doesn't fly. You now still have a pile of money, is any missing? Sure it is and your pi$$ed, right?

And the results posted in the parenthesis? That's just to illustrate that what comes around - goes around.

What if we all doubled up on our allowed limit of deer?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:14 AM

Guys like these are just out for a kill. I have to agree with the folks that have responded by saying they should help their friend with farm work so he could enjoy the "hunting experience". These are the kinds of guys that give honest hard working hunters a bad name. These guys are against us as much as anti-hunters. As for me and what i will pass on to my son we hunters must be honest and not break the law to make sure we don't give anti hunting organizations ammo against our hunting tradition.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just think, there are MILLIONS of deer, that 1 deer isnt going to make the rest of them disappear. There are still going to be more deer to take its place
THAT is theoretically stupid. The exact logic that demands us to have the strict laws we have.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

If it is illegal then it is wrong. Any excuse such as doing a person a favor or donation of meat is just a poor excuse to justify a wrong.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

If it is illegal then it is wrong. Any excuse such as doing a person a favor or donation of meat is just a poor excuse to justify a wrong.
In your eyes, this may be true.

But, legality and ethics are separate issues. The law is supposed to reflect the ethics of the community, but they do not always do this.

Some issues are ethical and illegal and some issues are unethical and legal. If you look in history, you see several examples of this - slavery, for one example. A more outdoor oriented example would be the near extermination of the buffalo.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: tucker610

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

In your eyes, this may be true.

But, legality and ethics are separate issues. The law is supposed to reflect the ethics of the community, but they do not always do this.

Some issues are ethical and illegal and some issues are unethical and legal. If you look in history, you see several examples of this - slavery, for one example. A more outdoor oriented example would be the near extermination of the buffalo.
We all have to live in a society with rules. That is what separates us from savages. Some rules/ laws, such as slavery don't stand the test of time and are changed for the better. The near extermination of the American buffalo was a result of no rules. Modern day game management and laws are supposedly designed to protect our natural resources. If a rule or law is wrong then people need to change them. Failing, or choosing, to ignore laws are not the way to make change. People who make their own rules are nothing worse than common criminals who justify their disregard for law with excuses.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

CI - agreed... the balance comes in also determining which laws are worth fighting to be changes and which aren't.

Now where are those pics of the Newfie Caribou you shot? I saw some nice whitetails on Route 100B in Duxbury the other day, ironically about a mile from the Benoits house (if you know where that is).

Cheers

Quick Reply: Hunting Ethics Question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.