Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Ethics Question...

Old 11-07-2005, 06:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunting Ethics Question...

ORIGINAL: mustad

CI - agreed... the balance comes in also determining which laws are worth fighting to be changes and which aren't.

Now where are those pics of the Newfie Caribou you shot? I saw some nice whitetails on Route 100B in Duxbury the other day, ironically about a mile from the Benoits house (if you know where that is).

Cheers
Sure do know the Benoit house and I was even fortunate to get invited in for a look a few years back. Awesome racks and hunting stuff in there. Beyond what I could ever imagine. A true whitetail museum by a legendary family. I went to NL with 3 others and we all got our Woodland Caribous. Two of the guys got SCI book animals. Mine was a real wide high rack but it was over the hill on age and didn't have all the points needed to make book.It was my 3rd trip in as many years and we all had a blast. We all decided that we needed to get it done early in the week because Wilma was headed up the coast and you need to be able to spot these ghosts of the north to have a chance to get them.It was near the end of the day and we spotted a group of caribou about 1 mile away and we were already in 2 miles by GPS. I left my pack with heavy cloths and camera on the lookout to be able to move faster and wasn't able to get my field pics on my camera. We hustled down the valley through countless bogs and climbed a small hill and a group of 11 was to the left with 2 stags and a group of 9 was to the right with 5 stags. I shot the largest that was available. Attached is a pic of all of us after the fact. I am on the left and the two book woodland caribou are in the center. I am still waiting for my field pics that my friend took. I'll post mine when I get them....Frank

Old 11-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhh Newfoundland, sure makes me homesick to see that picture CI. Would love to get back there someday for a moose or caribou hunt again.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Great question. I think it is unethical, simply because there were legal options that could have been used. If I was hunting on someone's farm and they wanted meat for the freezer, I would use one of my tags and give him the meat. That's the least I could do. Between the two of these guys, one of them surely had to have an extra tag to fill.

It's actually very simple for me. If it's illegal, don't do it. If you have a problem with the law, contact your state (or Canadian equivalent) politicians.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:34 AM

MY TAKE....... We all have differant idease of whats ethical or not...Hunting with dogs, hunting with high powered riffles, hunting out of a stand, using bait, ect, ect, ect.....DOES NOT MATTER!! Law Prevails.If its Illeagle, its also unethical, and but us justifying breaking hunting laws, its a good way to get that PRIVELAGE taken away. period.