Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Traditions for bagging or missing a deer. >

Traditions for bagging or missing a deer.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Traditions for bagging or missing a deer.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Traditions for bagging or missing a deer.

I'm always interested in reading about what people do when they tag or miss a deer.

Some of the common ones, like the shirt tail of a hunter who misses a deer is hung up as a trophy, OR, a good old fashioned hand shake and congrats for a first deer.

One that I seem to adhere to, is if I connect on a deer, and it runs a bit before expiration, and I can clearly see where it went down...I'll still track the blood trail from the place of impact. Don't know why, but it adds to the suspense when you finally get to the downed animal. I also like to get friends, or young kids out to track or retrieve the deer. I get just as much enjoyment of helping a friend pull out a deer as I do when taking one myself.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Traditions for bagging or missing a deer.

If the deer is a big buck or when we take an elk or a moose,there is always some handshakes or slaps on the back along with some photos.Taking a doe or small buck is so easy for us that we don't bother to celebrate unless it is a hunters first animal.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:04 PM

pictures for any bigame animal and lots of congrats and stuff like that
Old 10-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

in are camp if its a buck we rub the deer's blood under are eyes like football players do with the black stuff. way to show success as well as if to say thanks for the good fortune from above.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:08 AM
Typical Buck

I think a picture should be taken of every animal you harvest. I usually do it with deer and birds, etc mostly for memory's sake but always to pay a tribute to it/them. They deserve the respect so it's sort of a homage to the game. Just my $.02 though.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

A harvest is followed by a prayer of thanks and blood markings on the face.

A miss is the old shirt deal
Old 11-01-2005, 03:20 AM
Typical Buck

I'm with stubblejumper on this one. Sorry guys no great reverance here for does and young deer. They really are a dime a dozen where I hunt, just meat for the freezer pretty much any day you want them.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

A miss is the old shirt deal

Yep! Been there done that! we tear a piece of the shirt and pin it on the cabin wall with the date and name of the shooter!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:51 AM

Well when I miss a deer I kinda feel like poo poo. I rethink what I might have done wrong to cause this to happen. 1st I think that wasn't me that missed. lol ....Then when the hunting day is over. I open a cold one and say...Here's one for the deer today.Thats why they do call it hunting and not shootin.
When I take one down wait about 25 mins or so...get all that excitement out(if I can). Unload the gun and climb down to the ground. Then the excitement begins again.Ya'll know what I mean...Once found, I pet my new found meal and admire. There's nothing better than having a successful hunt. Unless you like to camp out on your hunts. The enjoyment to be outside and have congrads by your hunting bud and gals (Yes we have some women in our club) is veryspecial. You wish everyone could bring one back that day. My best hunting bud usually friesup the tender loins while I'm quartering up my deer.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:48 PM

At my camp if you miss you wash dishes that nite after we eat.which is a task we have 15-20 guys in camp on any given nite.[8 hunters and the rest locals up have a few beers& tell stories and when is a kill we all help skinning and prossesing it