Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DNR in your state

Old 11-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DNR in your state

NY DEC where do i start. I think they need to take a closer look (with their eyes open) at the deer population. Land management of their properties would help also.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:32 AM

Well our gov. cut our DNR's budget over $1 million. So, I guess they are doing the best they can. The sad part is that most of the state's DNR's are POLITICIANS not HUNTERS.

Here in SC, I think we need to move the season to where it doesn't go out until Feb. instead of Jan. 1st. By the time it gets cold, season is out. I would also like to see a antler rule too. Our bucks can't get big b/c everyone shoots them when they are 2 years old.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:59 PM

They do a good job here in Texas but I think they should open up some more of the states land for hunting due to some overpopulation
Old 11-02-2005, 06:29 AM

In Missouri, we are seeing a slow but needed change take place to harvest more doe, pass on immature bucks and regain some balance of age classes in the herd. Hopefully this will be done statewide and soon.

Our Dept of Conservation does an outstanding job. We could learn from Illinois on managing for more mature bucks, but this will come in time. The hardest thing to overcome is the "deer killer" mentality that any buck is better to kill than a doe. That will have to change but its a slow process when you have so many "hunters"...I use that word carefully, who are intent on a kill, want no regulation, prefer to trespass or road hunt, and we have so few game officers.