Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cleaning a Skull Cap???

Old 10-19-2005, 06:37 AM

Default Cleaning a Skull Cap???

Alright so I got my 1st buck.. Now I need to clean this damn skull cap and google is not presenting any good info. So how do I clean this thing? How do I remove the skin and tissue... Someone at work said boil it. Another said burry it.. Another one said cut it away with a knife... Any tips or tricks.. The easier the better.

Thanks..
Old 10-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cleaning a Skull Cap???

horky, are you talking about the whole skull or the horns cut off the skull? i would think you are just talking about the horn cut off the skull because you are calling it a skull cap. if thats all it is its easy to clean if you do it right away you just have to cut the hide off the skull cap while its pliable and fresh
Old 10-19-2005, 07:11 AM

Yes it is just the top of the skull with the horns.. But it has been a few days since the kill (Was at the Butcher).. And its a pain in the ass to get off now..... I guess I just have to have at it....
Old 10-19-2005, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

i boil mine for about 10 minuts. makes cutting and scraping all the stuff of the skull plate as easy as boiling an egg ..then once cleaned i boil it a bit more to release all the rest i may have forgotten, let it dry and cool off and it's ready to be mounted.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

sharp knife, just skin and peel. Then keep peeling the membrane as it dries. shouldn't be too bad.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

My uncle just submerges his in a pond over the winter and by the time spring rolls around the bluegill and perch have picked it clean to the bones. Or you could just hang in a shed and let it rot off like another guy I know does.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:37 PM

Let is rot somewhere where animals won't get at it, boil it ( outside ) and carefully scrape aways all the crap, then let it dry and paint it if you want.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is still pretty frsh, so i would just soak it in hot water for the day then cut and peel off the flesh. After this a slow rolling boil with some salt will take care of anything that may be left, if required. I would protect the bases by wrapping tightly in alum. foil, this way you won't bleach the horns if you do boiul. Every 30 minutes remove and scrape away the loose meat until clean. Just be careful when scraping meat off or rough handling after it has boiled for awhile they can be brittle.

Old 10-20-2005, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

NO MATTER WHICH WAY YOU CHOOSE, THE SKIN/FUR HAS TO BE TAKEN OFF. I PREFER TO BOIL THEN BURY. DROPPING INTO A LAKE IS GREAT ALSO, IF YOU CAN MARK IT IN A SPOT WHERE NO ONE WILL TAKE IT. BOTH WAYS COME OUT PERFECT. I DO ALL MY BUCK HEADS AS SKULLS. HAVE THEM ALONG A SHELF IN ORDER OF RACK SIZE. BOIL, SCRAPE, BOIL AND SCRAPE METHOD IS TOO MUCH WORK AND DOESN'T COME OUT AS NICE AS WHAT THE BUGS CAN DO. AT THE END YOU CAN BRIGHTEN IT WITH BLEACH AND A TOOTHBRUSH, BUTI THINK IT LOOKS BEST NATURAL ( JUST CLEAN WITH WATER ).
Old 10-20-2005, 03:57 PM

Got any ant beds close just lay it on one.