Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer bullets

Old 10-17-2005, 05:38 PM

Default deer bullets

Rifle season is fastly approaching, and I dont have the bullet that I normally hunt with. I normally use Winchester Failsafe's, but we couldn't find any last year at the end of the season when all my Failsafes were gone so I had to get Winchester Ballistic Silvertips instead (and yes I did check out how they shot before I hunted with them,and they shot the same and still do) With the Failsafes, I would normally go for a shoulder shot on a buck to drop him in his tracks with my 7mm08, do yall think this would be ok until I can find some more Failsafes or get some other kind of bullet that doesnt expand as much? My range will probably be 80 yards at the very most.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: deer bullets

I would just stick with the WW Ballistic Silvertips. They are a great deer bullet. I shoot them in my 7MM-08 as well. They chronographed at 2617 fps from my 22 inch barrel. However they expand well at all velocities.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

For deer the Failsafe is way too much bullet in my opinion. I'm with James on this one, just stay with the ballistic tips.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:16 AM

I think that at a maximum range of 80 yards, the 7mm-08 will punch through a deer with almost any good factory soft point. The Remington core-lokt, Winchester power point, any of the Federal nosler stuff, and certainly any of the heavy duty controlled expansion bullets like the failsafe or the Barnes X. I would just pick up whatever you can find in the 140 grain range and see how it shoots. I wouldn't worry too much about the adequacy of the bullet on deer.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer the Federal Premium 165 grain bullet. They have worked extremely well four our group and family for over the last 3 deacades. Very accurate bullet with some nice knock down power. You can get them in any caliber.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:07 PM

In the responses so far, nobody has said what a ballistic tip will do to a shoulder, which is mainly what I asked. I'm just a little leary of it after shooting my first deer 10 years ago in the shoulder with a BT in the same gun, I got no exit hole but he only went about5 yards. I just want to make sure I'll get a complete passthrough if I go for the shoulder on a big buck.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:30 PM

I've never seen what ballistic tips do, but deer are not too hard to shoot through. I wouldn't worry too much about using them. I myself, shoot failsafes at almost everything. I know that they will go through a deer no matter what the angle is.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMHO you should stick with a good bonded bullet. Couldn't give me a box of BT's.