Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

? for michigan rilfe hunters

Old 10-15-2005, 10:26 AM

Default ? for michigan rilfe hunters

Ok you guys that hunt up north in michigan with centerfires I have a question for you. I want to know if it's legal to hunt with an AR15 in .223 up north.

I'm not asking if you think it's ethical, I want to know if it's legal. I don't plan on hunting with one, or hunting up north. Where I live it's shotgun only. I had someone tell me you can't do it though and I said I am pretty sure you can if you have the right mag in it.

I read the regs and they say there is no minimum caliber for center fire. The only limit is you can't use a rimfire. And if you use a semi auto it has to be limited to 6 rounds.

So my question is if you had an AR15 with a 5 round mag it would be legal to hunt with right? I personally wouldn't use a .223, but if it was all you had and were good with it I think it would work with the right bullets. As long as you didnt go crazy with the range.

If anyone knows for sure I would like to know. I told the guy I would check on it so we could settle it. I was kind of shocked when it read in the regs, that is why I remembered it.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? for michigan rilfe hunters

yeah im pretty sure its legal to hunt with a .223 cal here in Mi.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:33 AM

Default RE: ? for michigan rilfe hunters

From what I can read it is legal with a .223, I was just wondering if there was an issue with using an AR15 type weapon. I have talked to guys that use a SKS, so I don't see where the problem would be. You would just have to find 5 round clips is all.

Paul