Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 any michigan hunters here >

any michigan hunters here

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

any michigan hunters here

Old 08-04-2003, 06:13 AM

Default any michigan hunters here

Deer herd SUCKS!! doesn' t it I live in big rapids, michigan. And the state dnr is letting people shoot toooo many does. We might have 15 deer per square mile now, some less!!!!! And that is no joke!!! They wanted to even out buck to doe population. Why didn' t they just say one buck, and one doe. Instead, they said 2 bucks and many does you can shoot!! Bull ****!! There is no deer now. I hope they do a qdm for all michigan, that would be cool. well i' m mad now again
Hope the deer population goes up[:' (] And insurance goes down!
Old 08-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: any michigan hunters here

BigBuck,

I hunt in Van Buren County MI, Cass County, and Washtenah counties. All the deer herds seem to be very good this year. My girlfriends parents have 20 acres up by port Huron and they say there are more deer this year than they have ever seen. I' ve been going through my hunting grounds on the border of Cass and Van Buren and I' m seeing the same thing....A LOT OF DEER. It' s Crazy your not seeing that many. I have friends in Jackson county and they say they have a ton of deer this year. Not sure whats going on in your neck of the woods!!!!

Good luck this year.

J
Old 08-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt near Moorestown in Missaukee county. There are too many deer up there for the available good browse. On my property last February the deer were beginning to eat on the balsam fir. The deer herd of the `90s was too high and the habitat suffered because of it. There won`t be more deer until the habitat recovers. The habitat won`t recover until deer numbers are reduced to a level that the habitat has a chance to come back. I plan to hit the does hard this year.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in the Crystal falls area and from what I have heard the numbers are still ggod in and around that area. i hope to get up in the next couple weeks to start to get ready...
Old 08-05-2003, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer populations look good around here in Livingston county. Up in Emmet county where i rifle hunt is another story.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

It definately varies from Co. to Co. from town to town. Some areas are way out of wack with heard numbers. I definately think baiting has an negative impact on the number of deer you see (or don' t see) during daylight hours.

I hunt all over the state, some areas are as low as less than 10 a sq. mile ( Lk. Superior watershed, while some areas have well over a 100 per sq. mile (menominee co.).

An over abundance of does, doesn' t contribute to a healthier deer heard.

A solid buck to doe ratio that is balanced. Good brouse and a healthy distributed buck age structure are all key ingredients in maintaining a healthy and enjoyable deer hunting environment.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:26 PM

The deer numbers are low where i hunt in Felch!!
Old 08-09-2003, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Deer herd here is healthy,A few to many does though,But i live in menominee county
Old 08-10-2003, 02:54 PM

Default Deer everywhere

I live in Livingston Co. Between Howell and Fowlerville, There are deer everywhere. Up north in St. Helen and the areas around there we have plenty of deer.

Coyote Caller
Old 08-12-2003, 05:49 AM

Hey Coyote,

Where abouts in St. Helen have you seen deer? I hunt there every season, but I haven' t had much luck bringing anything back home. I hunt in the area around the Ogemaw County Game Refuge. I' m heading up there next weekend to do some preseason scouting and it would be helpful to have an idea where to look.

Thanks,
Mike

Quick Reply: any michigan hunters here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.