Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Two Questions

Old 10-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Two Questions

Just Two Questions [/align][hr]

I went out hunting last night, got into my stand at around 6:00, I get settled in to see a porkipine in my bait pile. He leaves and around 6:30 I here something coming behind me. I listen and look and finally see a deer emerge, after a closer long I see it'sa buck. He's walking right down the trail I walked in on, thinking he will be gone soon, I tell myself, oh well atleast I seen him. As he gets closer and closer look I soon see it's a large 8 point, he goes under my tree to my left. I draw back and first I see his neck and then he finally steps out. At 10 yards broadside I shoot behind the front shoulder.....SWACK! I see the deer trot about 30 yards and stop, I notice my arrow sticking straight ut of his side, but only sticking in around 3-4".. After about 15 seconds he bolts into the swamp. I tracked this deer for over 800 yards with preatty good bright red blood, until 2:15 a.m., it rains overnight. I get up int the morning and try to pick-up the trail, we look all day until 4:30. Zip.....

Question #1 - I shoot a Browning bow , 70#, I just switched from aluminum arrows and thunderhead 125 broadheads. At 10 yards I would think I would get more petatration with my arrow, with 70#. Is it because I switched to carbide arrows and only 95 grain broadhead?

Question #2 - What is on the market to make blood show up better, I will do whatever it takes to retrive this animal. It's the right thing to do and makes me sick this happened.[/align]
Old 10-14-2005, 07:27 PM

Default RE: Two Questions

#1 not for sure the angle of your shot, think you hit a bone, at ten yards the arrow should have stuck in the ground on the other side,regard of type of arrow or weight or broadhead
#2 not for sure whats on the market, i use a red lens flash light,
Old 10-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

Found part of the problem, I looked at my broadheads and they are SONIC HEADS 85 grain. The tip is the blade, no carbide tip. That's can't be a good choice! Will get some different ones tommarrow......And the shot placement!
Old 10-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

well you can buy luminal which is the stuff the cops use to show blood it is not cheap you can get it online it would work if you had a battery black light
Old 10-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Found part of the problem, I looked at my broadheads and they are SONIC HEADS 85 grain. The tip is the blade, no carbide tip. That's can't be a good choice!
This is referred to as cut on contact and is not the problem. In fact a COC head should lend itself to better penetration all things considered equal. I have been using the COC style(Magnus Stingers & SteelForce prem.)for a number of years and they have always done the job when I did mine. In fact I found they out preformed the chisel tip fixed heads I use to shoot in many cases(Muzzy, TH, etc). I have no experience with the sonic head itself so just replying to the fact you felt a COC style may have been part of the problem vs a chisel tipped head.

I would look at the shooter. Firstcheck if thebow is tuned properly for the arrow/head combo? Are you using the correct spined arrows for the setup? Secondly, shot placement! Did you possibly crowd the front shoulder somewhat and get the scapula. Did you actually shoot high get the underside of the spine? It is very easy for the events to become clouded, it happens daily in the hunting woods.

Not saying you should switch heads but I also am not sure that is the reason for these events...do whatever you need to head back confident.

Good Luck
Old 10-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't blame the head. You smacked the shoulder and it didn't break. Could be the light arrow, could be the angle that didn't hit it flush. Could also be an out of tune bow/and or hitting a tiny limb that made the arrow enter at an angle and lose energy.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

How heavy is your arrow, I like to be above 400 grains. Anything less I feel does not have enough kentic energy.
I Think you smacked the shoulder. I have heard that sound before and I have yet to fine a deer hit in the shoulder.
I like to use LED flashlights, I think the blood shows up better.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:23 PM

i use hydrogenperoxcide in a small spray bottle (that u get from the doller store) not sure anything would help much if it rained overnight though...

did he clear the swamp? maby he pilled up in there and is under water
Old 10-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jci63

Found part of the problem, I looked at my broadheads and they are SONIC HEADS 85 grain. The tip is the blade, no carbide tip. That's can't be a good choice! Will get some different ones tommarrow......And the shot placement!
Sonic makes an excellent cut on impact broadhead. The only thing that would have stopped that broadhead from passing through would have been heavey bone mass. Was the bucks from leg back? Nothing shoudl have stopped that broadhead, unless you got nothing but shoulder. I dont go for the sweet spot. I go right for the lungs. Thats what you should have done in my opinion, he wouldnt have lasted long and may have found him before the rain. Sorry about the bad luck hope you can find him.