Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Clarification please.

Old 09-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Clarification please.

I read all this stuff about QDM and it all sounds good as long as you have control of enough land to make it work and all hunters work together for it but I don't know of any places like that here in WV. I enjoy deer hunting and it's my goal to put 5 or 6 deer in the freezer every year. I hunt with a bow, a high powered rifle and an inline muzzleloader and I enjoy them all. I took 2 does and a racked buck with my bow, a racked buck with my 270 and another racked buck with my muzzleloader........all legal here in WV. I also passed up on 2 smaller bucks which would have been legal to take. Although I'm proud of the bucks I got, there not as big as a lot of the bucks I see pics of on here. The biggest of the 3 might score 110. I hunt an area of about 150 acres along with 3 or 4 other guys and I have no control of what they take nor do I care and they feel the same way. We do make a concentrated effort not to shoot button bucks. All this being said, I say to each his own as long as it's legal. Life's too short to get hung up on antler size. Just hunt and take what you can use and no more. By the way, I usually take more does than bucks. WV has put in a 3 buck limit for the 2005 season and I think this will help.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like this thread went to the Deer Hunting forum and not the bowhunting forum as requested[&:]. It should be over there as that is where the 14 pager is. BTW Ken, I have stayed away from thatother thread but will say here I totally agree with you on your thoughts.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

But for Gods sake let people enjoy hunting for their own reasons. If a basket rack 6 pointer brings you joy then shoot it and congrats to you. If nothing short of a 150" deer does it for ya.... so be it good luck to you too. If a tender doe and meat in the freezer is what you're out there for then that's great too. If just sitting in a tree taking in nature is what you're after....... that's wonderful. Too each their own and everyone enjoy hunting for whatever your personal reasons may be.
This is it in a nutshell. Hunting is a individual sport, with individual goals/joys/etc. Hunters make it competition just like any fraternity but this should only be in fun IMHO. The real competition lies within oneself..it is you and only you. Much like golf only the guy swinging the club can effect the outcome. If your happy that is all that counts.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like this thread went to the Deer Hunting forum and not the bowhunting forum as requested[&:]. It should be over there as that is where the 14 pager is.
Ask politely and see what you get................... whatever I'll do it myself.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Same problems where I hunt. I also got really tired of phone calls like this. "hey Charlie you hear about that big ten point that got hit by the car,last night?" I have this happen about four times in the last ten years,with deer I had scouted hung stands for etc.

Let'emgo so the can get killed by a car.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:29 AM

We have manage our 2500 acre farm for about 8 years now and have started seeing a major difference in the deer population. We do not have rack restrictions per say, just specifications on what goes and what stays when given a chance to harvest.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: muley69

Antler restriction simply allow for more trophy class animals and stabilize the male/female ratio here in Montana. One of the faulty assumptions people tend to make is that the animals with the biggest racks do the breeding. In the natural world, the breeders are the toughest and most agressive animals wether or not they have a large rack. I have seen herd bulls that are smaller then the satelite bulls, for whatever reason the satelite couldn't wrestle the herd from the smaller bull. Generally speaking the larger animals due the majority of the breeding because the heiarchy is determined to an extent by what the animals see in head gear from their opposition. A spike bull won't bump with a 6x6 for a herd at as matter of prudence, however, you may find a brush bull or two that is herd master although they seem to be cheating nature. Antler restrictions allow smaller animals to become more mature. As far as QDM I feel it is a personal decesion, nobody should say what animals somebody should shoot. Hunting is very personal, and I'm not prepared to criticize some 15 year old kid over what he shot. The hunting community has many different ways to divide itself and find things to argue about, what people decide to take shouldn't be one of them.
Very sensible.I really grow weary of the 'have to do it my way' attitude, whether it comes from the trophy guys or the less restricted. There are some determining factors that need to be considered--such as the overall effect of your approach to the herd, and the overall effect that your approach has on the future of hunting. Keep it legal, safe ,and ethical, and leave people alone that don't agree with your personal approach. Always cogratulate someone on a deer they were proud to harvest, regardless of size.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:49 PM

Deer management only really works when everyone is doing it, and then it usually only takes two or three years to really see good results. When the hunters in the surrounding areas are not practicing management harvesting techniques you arefighting an uphill battle.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TomFromTheShade

Deer management only really works when everyone is doing it, and then it usually only takes two or three years to really see good results. When the hunters in the surrounding areas are not practicing management harvesting techniques you arefighting an uphill battle.
Tomfromtheshade hit the nail on the head. I agree 110%! You can practive QDM all you want, but if your parcel of land isn't large enough, and the hunters around you don't practice it also, you are fighting an uphill battle (I couldn't have said it better)!