Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun slugs/hunting

Old 09-26-2005, 09:01 PM

Default RE: Shotgun slugs/hunting

i like to feed our local deer herd a lot of lead ,so i shoot lightfields hybrid xtps,at an ounce and a quarter per sabot they are the most hard hitting, not to mention extremly accurate sobot i have ever shot.check out the vids at lightfield.com
Old 09-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont think.. just kill..any slug will kill
Old 09-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ahhhhhh! Never mind about what I said about grabbing a 695. Can't buy a new one and tracking down used ones, well......

So the gunshop I'm in looking for one today - ain't got one either.

I go back to plan "A". "Ya got a cantilever barrel for a Mossberg 500?"

"Oh yes, here it is." ($140) Not bad I'm thinking, It's $150 n Cabela's + tax + shipping." This is a deal, right?

But the fella sez, "I'd have to go with the combo deal though."

Presto! He presents a genuine Mossberg 24" rifled, ported slug barrel with a Bushnell 3-9X scope, pre-bore sighted @ $169.99.

SOLD!

We'll post a few pics in the near future and probobly try to dial it in Sat. morn.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: pshootr

i like to feed our local deer herd a lot of lead ,so i shoot lightfields hybrid xtps,at an ounce and a quarter per sabot they are the most hard hitting, not to mention extremly accurate sobot i have ever shot.check out the vids at lightfield.com

Old 09-27-2005, 11:04 AM

Brenneke gold magnums 1 3/8 ounce (600 grns) in a 3 inch magnum shell. That is the baddest thing I have found in my area. I can't tell where they kick any harder than some of the 2 3/4 inch sabots I have shot.

7 dollars a box to boot.

Paul
Old 09-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

I go back to plan "A". "Ya got a cantilever barrel for a Mossberg 500?"
Presto! He presents a genuine Mossberg 24" rifled, ported slug barrel with a Bushnell 3-9X scope, pre-bore sighted @ $169.99.
Matt,

Please let us know how this combination shoots for you. The reason I ask is that I have no personal experience with this gun. About a week ago I came across three individuals on one website who mentioned there were having problems with the same setup. It sounded to me like the shooters were not very experienced and it was hard to determine where the fault lied.
Everyone tried to help these guys out but never really got anywhere. I know you arewell versed on slug shooting, and I would like to let these guys know how things go for you. It might help them in narrowing down their issues.

JC

Btw...I will PM you a link to the mssg board I am referencing...
Old 09-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Went to the new Gander Mtn. in Joliet, IL and got loded up with 2-3/4" Remington BuckHammers. My buddy also picked up a CVA muzzy w/scope. Come Sat morning we'll all be out on the farm trying to get it all dialed in.

There is a slight possibility that I could have lost a wee-bit of my self-control while in the afore mentioned place of business. (or somebody stole a WHOLE BUNCH of money out of my wallet - yeah that's what happened honey.........)

Sad thing is...................

.........I'm already planning my next little "visit".
Old 10-02-2005, 03:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, the results are in. We went to the range today and got all these sluggers sighted in. More later.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

jccchartboy:
Matt,

Please let us know how this combination shoots for you. The reason I ask is that I have no personal experience with this gun. About a week ago I came across three individuals on one website who mentioned there were having problems with the same setup. It sounded to me like the shooters were not very experienced and it was hard to determine where the fault lied.
Everyone tried to help these guys out but never really got anywhere. I know you are well versed on slug shooting, and I would like to let these guys know how things go for you. It might help them in narrowing down their issues.

JC
OK, couldn't go to my buddies farm to shoot yesterday cause the sod field we shoot over was being cut and we don't want to shoot at the workers. So went to Buffalo Rock Gun Range in Ottawa, IL and give them some money.

Set up at 50 yards and my first two shots were probobly 1/4-1/2" apart, about 4-5 inches high and 2 inches to right. I compensated for the first 2 shots and put one right in the bulzeye. OK that works. Adjusted scope for for left and got that down in a box of slugs and then adjusted for point of impact to go down a couple inches with another box of slugs. Hitting 2 inches high at 50 yards, that's good. Info sez 1.8 inches high at 50 yards is dead on at 100 and 3.3 inches low at 150.

Shot at 75 yards and groupings were very nice. Handed it over to my oldest nephew and he shot it very well also.

Five things learned at the range..............

1. The Mossberg barrel/scope combo is a great deal. Equipment-wise and $$$-wise.

2. The 2-3/4" Remington BuckHammers group very, very well. And also put
a paper punch clean edged hole thru cardboard. Cleanest edges I've
ever seen.

3. If a deer presents a shot to my nephew and he misses - it will not be
the gun's fault!

4. There's always someone who wants my wrath thrown upon them at the
Buffalo Rock range for unsafe practices! I though this older guy was
either gonna, A) Swallow his dentures, B) Cr*p his pants or C) Cry,
when I lit into him.

5. My shoulder got SORE!

The only thing I screwed up with was not trying the BuckHammers out of my H&R. I think I subconciously didn't do them cause my shoulder was talking to me. But I did do about 25 rounds of Brenneke Heavy Field Short magnums thru the H&R and of course, the performance was excellent.