Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun hunting--???? on slugs and sabots >

Shotgun hunting--???? on slugs and sabots

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun hunting--???? on slugs and sabots

Old 07-03-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Shotgun hunting--???? on slugs and sabots

Shotgun hunting--???? on slugs and sabots[/align][hr]

Just wanted to get the opinions of some of the more experenced shotgun hunters. At the close of hunting season here in Illinois, I bought a Mossberg 695 12 gauge shotgun with a leupold vx-II 1-4x20 scope. Got a deal at 200.00 bucks. I found that the scope was right on at 100 yards with Lightfield slugs, but the price was a kick in the teeth. 11.00 for 5 rounds, and I know this is the average price.

Here's my question:

Tonight I was a super wally world and crusing the hunting section (what little there is) and found several boxes of Federal premium and Federal ammo for a steal.

1) Federal Premium ammo: Hydra-shok Sabot slug HP, 2 3/4" 1 oz Max, and muzzle velocity 1450 fps. Boxes were marked 5.00 a box--bought two boxes.

2) Federal ammunition: Power-shok rifled slug HP, 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz Magnum, muzzle velocity 1520 fps. Boxes were maked 2.00 a box--bought five boxes.

The question that I have is this, which one is a better slug for the job of killing deer. I only have 10 rounds of the Hydra-shok's and 25 rounds of the Power-shok.

I liked the Lightfield slugs, but will use what I have so that I don't spend to much money. These were a steal and bought what I could when I found them.

Give me your insights to these rounds or to some others. My shotgun has a rifled barrel in case your wondering. Should I shoot rifled slugs only or will a sabot slug engage the rifleing?

Thanks for your help...
Paul[/align]
Old 07-03-2005, 10:07 PM

Default RE: Shotgun hunting--???? on slugs and sabots

I also live in Illinois and use a 695. I would suggest to steer clear of the rifled slugs. That is not what your gun is designed to shoot. Secondly, I never had much luck with the Federal Hydra-shok sabot slugs. Accuracy was not very good at all. I have had the best luck with 3/4oz and 1 oz Barnes Expanders. I have also had good luck with Winchester Supreme Gold partitions, and lightfields. I know the price of ammo is steep, but you get what you pay for. Good luck
Old 07-03-2005, 10:31 PM

I know the price of ammo is steep, but you get what you pay for. Good luck
true--very true. I'll go back and return these rounds.

Looks like Lightfield or remington will get the nod.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:57 PM

I am no expert on shotgun slugs but I thought Rifled slugs are for smooth barrels and sabots are for rifeled barrels?

also it is my understanding that all amunition sales at wal-mart are final no returns or exchanges
Old 07-04-2005, 07:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I have always used Winchester BRI sabots. With my A-5 Brn and a
Hastings Paradox(rifled) barrel, it will shoot 2 to21/2"groups@80yds.
They cost around $7 a box.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do yourself a favor, don't shoot rifled slugs in your rifled barrel. They might actually shoot ok, but you will get lead in your rifling and it will be a pain to get out. Stick with sabots.

There are no universal truths. You really need to try some brands of sabots to find the ones your gun likes best. I use plain old 2 3/4" BRIs and they shoot great. Just about any 12 ga slug will wilt a deer real quick. Focus on accuracy. When you think about it, you'll probably spend more on gas than ammo, so in perspective, it's worth it to buy whatever works for your gun.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:50 AM
bigcountry

Wow man, those are both good prices. I am not sure, but I thought they were discontinuing the hyrdoshok. I have one 870 that loves the 2.75" ones. So I hate to hear them discontinuing them.
I have killed alot of deer with the hydroshok with great penetration and decent exit wounds. But my choice these days are remington copper solids 2.75". I had flyers with the corelok ultras in all slug guns.
I say try the fed hydros and if they fly, go buy up all you can, cause I used to pay over 10 dollars for five when they came out.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting long distances, accurately, w/rifled slugs is not a cheap proposition. Bigcountry's gundoesnt like the core-lokts, mine loves them, yours who knows? The point being either be happy with what you are getting, or expect to spend some money searching for whatyou are looking for....
Old 07-09-2005, 09:40 AM

My Remington 12 gauge870-SP,with a VXII 3X9X40 loves the regular 2-3/4 Remington Copper-Solids.All day long,1-1/2-2in. groups @ 100yds.
Believe me,I have tried EVERY sabot slug out there...Bob
Old 07-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trestand..

So what did you think about the Core Lokt Ultras....certainly better trajectory if a given gun likes them. How did your gun like them?

Quick Reply: Shotgun hunting--???? on slugs and sabots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.