Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Chow?

Old 09-30-2002, 09:37 PM

Default Deer Chow?

Do Deer eat acorns off of the trees, or do they have to be already fallen to the ground?

beej

Old 09-30-2002, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Chow?

They do eat them off the ground,Ive never seen them eat them off the tree but if they can reach them and if they are ripe they might.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:00 AM

I've never seen a deer that tall. Any deer I have seen can only manage to eat them from the ground. When they fall they are ready to be consumed.

Ever tried sitting in your stand, which is located in or near a Oak area, and tossing small rocks of other acorns to the ground.

At time deer will here this and come into view, as they think it's the acorns dropping.

Good question.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-01-2002, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the info. The reason I ask is that I just set up a stand in an oak tree that has acorns on the branches (some sweep way down to just off the ground. the tree is right off of a deer trail in a field. Another oak not far away has acorns on the ground, but didn't konw if the deer would eat them off the branches of this one oak.

How about this question, will deer eat walnuts? there are several walnut trees with walnuts all over the ground.