Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.30 carbine

Old 09-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .30 carbine

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Go to any VFW post and askany vetthat fought in Korea, about the M1 Carbine!
Biggest piece of crap ever made for battle.

Not disputing that... Like I said, I won't use mine for deer hunting, (and I've got 2)..... but still that's what it was designed for (for men, not hunting) and yes, it can be quite effective. My dad has killed several deer with one.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

[/quote]
but still that's what it was designed for (for men, not hunting) and yes, it can be quite effective.
[/quote]

I t might be effective at bow hunting ranges, if you've got the discipline to limit your shots!
I personally know of two people that were killed by .177 pellet guns!
Effective? Not hardly!
Consistantly effective and reliable for hunting situations? NO!
Old 09-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BrianDamage

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Go to any VFW post and askany vetthat fought in Korea, about the M1 Carbine!
Biggest piece of crap ever made for battle.

Not disputing that... Like I said, I won't use mine for deer hunting, (and I've got 2)..... but still that's what it was designed for (for men, not hunting) and yes, it can be quite effective. My dad has killed several deer with one.
Brian,you can kill a deer or hog with a 22lr if you shoot it between the eye
and ear or theforehead. I sure don't want those odd's againist me while hunting,
would you?

Yes, an M1-Carbine will kill a man, if you can see the whites of his eyes. That's
why the Marines would grab them by the barrel and hurl them as far as they could
and would try to find an M1-Garand.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:13 PM

Whenever I see questions like this ("Is ----- a good caliber for deer?"), the first thing I do is check out the Remington ballistics tables. Since 800 foot-pounds is a minimum energy for an ethical kill, and the .30 carbine has only 967 ft-lbs at the muzzle and 600 at 100 yards, I'd say that this is not an ethical round for deer.And it drops like a stone outside of 100 yards. Besides that, it's perfect ...
Old 09-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im told in other threads that a SKS 7.62x39 ( 30cal) is an effective deer rifle out to 150 yards....In the NAM ...GIs were takingthe SKS from the enemy and throwing away the U S issue....I ll say ...get closer and shoot....hell a .22 stinger cartridge...headshot.... has filled many a freezer.. ....................Hunt safe and Hunt smart