Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 M1 Carbine 30 cal?? >

M1 Carbine 30 cal??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M1 Carbine 30 cal??

Old 08-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default M1 Carbine 30 cal??

I am interested in getting a M1 Carbine and don't know were to start looking.Could my local gun shop order them or do you have to find them used from the Military?What is the price range for a descent one?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: M1 Carbine 30 cal??

Google M1 Carbine and you will find suppliers, although costly for what they are, over $1k. Decades ago I carried one for duty and there is much to like about them. Also, they will fire w/o the bolt fully locked down, so keep them clean and lightly lubed in the right places!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

CMP is selling them in lots over the next few years. If you meet the purchase requirements and are patient, you could get a very nice GI carbine for around $500 from them.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Site Bouncer

Depending on condition and originality you can pay anywhere from $500.00 like Briman said (although it will probably bea mixed matched re-arsenal) about $1,000.00 - $1,500.00 for an all original but upgraded with the rear sight, added bayo lug and safety switch and $1,500.00 and upfor an all originalpiece with the original flip sight, no bayo lug and push button safety. The military started toadd the bayo lugs, rear sight and lever safetyin late 1944 I believe.

Price will also vary by manufacturer as more were made bycertain manufacturers than othersetc...

I have a middle one, it's anall originalWinchester (barrel, receiver, bolt, etc...) but has the upgraded rear sight, bayonet lug installed and lever safety.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, damme! The LAST M1 carbine I bought thru the DCM cost me $20.00, and I'd sure look at $500.00 a long time before I pooped it off on another one!

They are light and handy little guns with NO ACCURACY and they shoot a pistol cartridge. They would be good plinkers, but ammo has gotten too expensive too!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:07 AM

I too have been looking for one. One thing I was told at the gunshop in Cali where I used to live is that the old originals are the ones that you want if you can find it. There are a lot of them out there that are remakes from other companies. I won't lie to you and tell you I know the names, but a little research should help you out. The remakes, I am told have some feed issues, and just don't function all that great. Damn, now i wish I could remember the specifics. Anyhow, look it up, you should be able to find something.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, I own an M-1 carbine myself and while I can't remember exactly what I paid for it I can assure you it wasn't very much. When and why did these guns take such a leap in value? I didn't think they were particularly rare or highly prized by collectors. They aren't very accurate and are woefully underpowered. The only good use I have ever found for mine was target plinking. I did kill a deer with it once. ONCE! I won't try that again.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:32 AM

Just do some research. Some are worth a bundle, and some aren't worth squat. Ijust can't remember who made remanufactures that aren't worth as much.

good luck to you

Old 08-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Site Bouncer

They have really taken a jump in price within the last 5 or so years. All original ones are becoming harder and harder to find, hell even the original rear flip sight (not the reproductions) are selling for over $100.00....for the sight only!That's more than what I paid for this rifle!

I have an original USGI canvas case for it as well dated 1944, I've seen them sell for as much as $200.00. Anything USGI will bring more money down the road.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:53 AM

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_m1_f.html
They make one americanrifleman tested it

Quick Reply: M1 Carbine 30 cal??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.