Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

stand height

Old 09-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default stand height

I found this old stand thats only 9'. I dont really want to spend the money on a new stand. Is this stand to short? I am a college student I am a bit short on cash right now. Plus I already brought a new stand this year after my stand from the same woods was stolen.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: stand height

i guess it would be a personal thing. i for 1 would think its to short. but i like being atleast 12-15 feet minimum. what kind of stand is it?? ladder? must be some way you could rig it up cheap to get higher.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen them pretty low in my time, even lower than nine feet. My hunting buddy killed a doe from a stump that was not even three feet off the ground. He put his bucket on there and sat for an hour and a half and shot a doe. As for myself, I dont like hunting very low. I prefer atleast 15 feet and in my climber I will hit thirty. I have been up that high when the wind starts and I must say it gets pretty hairy. You better have balls of steel when you get up in to that range. So my college friend I would recommend that you pass on about your next ten 12 packs and buy something you can use.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:54 PM

15 feet is the min for me. anything lower the deer will be able to spot you. I personally try to sit at about 18 feet.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:04 PM

usually 15-20ft for me there has never been a need to go higher but if 9ft is all you have then thats all you have. Just look for good cover, good luck.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:46 PM

I usually like to be 15-20ft. If it is possible and I am in one of my climbers, I will hit 30'.

A lot of people don't realize that you can actually out climb your "hunting zone". To me, I like to be at whatever height I have the largest field of sight. Just watch the wind and put the stand in cover. Make sure you have a good background to break up your outline.

I will be hunting out of a 10ft stand come Sept. 15th. The best spot I have to hunt is in really thick pines and briars along a ridge b/t the bedding area and a creek. If I climbe 20ft, I can't see anything. Hell, there aren't any trees that tall unless I go down to the creek.So, why go 20ft? I just put the stand over to the side. NEVER put a stand where the deer will be walking directly to you. My stand is Watching over an intersection of four trails.I am going to build abox tomorrow and put on the platform. So even though its only 10ft, I will still have a box stand that I can use when it rains. This will also help cover my scent and movement. Weave some pine limbs in it and I should be set.

I have killed deer in 10ft stands before. So I am confident in my set-up.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

it will work ,try and brush it up a little.I cut bushy branches and plastic elecrical ties.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

I have a stand that is beside a pond that is the primary "watering hole" in my area that isbetween 9 and10 ft.
I put it up 4 years ago and the result is: 3 bucks and 2 does. Never a year without a deer. Of those 5 deer, 4 of them were killed with my Matthews, one 6 yards and the farthest being 18 yards. The shotgun kill was 40 yards.
I don't have sides or a blind set-up, it's just a platform and I sit on a camo three-legged stool. And I use an old wooden ladder to get into it.
I cover my scent to the best of my ability, use a little attractant scent and use good camo and it's worked for me!
The rest of my stands are around 10-12 feet.
I killed my biggest buck from a chair I was sitting in, on the ground, behind a pine tree.
I'd suggest you use the stand. Like mentioned before, skip a couple of those 12 packs and get you some good cover scent, (but you still have to watch the wind) camo yourself good and sprinkle that with a little luck and you should be ok!!
Happy hunting!!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Depends on the surroundings in my opinion. I have hunted a few stands in the 10 to 11 foot range with plenty of cover and the deer had no idea I was there.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

It will also depend on the terrain around you. You can make it work if everything around you is flat (as stated above with cover) or if you are on a hill looking down on a trail. I had a bear stand that was on the side of the hill and the bear would come in above me and look down into the stand to see if I was there. I always sat behind a tree so I was hidden. You should be able to make it work...somebody else did.

Quick Reply: stand height

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.