Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

food plot on ridgetop?

Old 09-06-2005, 08:13 AM

Default food plot on ridgetop?

i was wandering whats the best thing to plant right in the middle of the woods?i was thinking rye,wheat,or oats.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:54 AM

Default RE: food plot on ridgetop?

Depends on the amount of sunlight the spot receives. They make "shade" blends, but even they need a certian amount of sun.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

RACKMASTER DEER BLENDS
[align=center]

PLANT SEEDS for Food Plots.
[/align]
RACKMASTER®
SUPREME & DELUXE
DEER BLENDS

ARE AVAILABLE FOR PLANTING
BASED ON SEASONS (Time Planted)
[ul][*][*][/ul]
SUPREME & DELUXE NOTE: The seeds in the Rackmaster Deer Mixes are primarily annuals. Supreme deer mixtures do include some annuals. Both Supreme and Deluxe Rackmaster Blends are available. Deluxe mixtures are chosen based on productive results with economical cost seeds. Supreme Deer Mixtures are chosen based on superior results. Note that Fall Deer mixtures may NOT be available year round.
To attract and feed Deer populations year round requires a good quality mixture for you food plot. We have selected the Rackmaster Deer mixtures as the best overall food plot mixture for feeding Deer. Rackmaster's wide range of seeds provides for good results and healthier deer for your wildlife Deer feed area. This makes Rackmaster Fall & Spring / Summer mixes a good choice for a great deer plot
Old 09-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tecomote plots do pretty good in timber settings. Here's a plot of mine, planted with Tecomote Ultra Forage just a couple weeks ago.

Old 09-07-2005, 07:46 AM

well i bought some hot spot by biologic.i am gonna get started with it today.anyone use it before?ill post results.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:51 PM

No I've never used it but have heard good things from some buddies of mine...good luck
Old 09-07-2005, 07:46 PM

If you plan on planting a seed blend like Biologic or Imperial Whitetail, or almost any of the blends that include clovers, brassicas, chickory, etc, You will have to be prepared to put lime and fertilizer on the plot or you will waste your time and money. Ridge tops in timber usually have poor soil, and the good seed blends just wont grow in that soil, without help. From what Ive seen, winter wheat will grow almost anywhere and is cheap to buy, Rye seems to do well for me in places that dont recieve lots of sunlight. So for an easy plot in the woods, without lots of work and preparation, Id just plant winter wheat.